Tuesday, May 3, 2011

World History.

On Sunday night I went to bed soooo early that I didn't hear the news that Bin Laden had been killed until I woke up Monday morning. This blog isn't a place where I share my political opinions or ideas, but I will say that I am thankful that there is one less terrible person in this world. I will also say that I don't think celebrating in the streets in necessarily the right response. I think that right now we should be remembering those that were lost in the terrorist attacks and also thanking the heros in the military, fire and police departments for keeping us safe.  
Raindrops not sweat!
 I've decided from now on I have to listen to my body... my mind may be up for a run but my legs may not be. Monday morning everything seemed to be clicking. When I left my house it was barely drizzling... about half way through I was caught in a torrential downpour! I really don't mind running in the rain. I get a lot of people giving me sad eyes... but it is actually sort of refreshing when the temp is above 50 degrees!
I went just about 2.5 miles. Then I went to my PT appointment. We talked about my awful week and he recommended giving my body more time to heal in between runs... no more back-to-back days for me.
I put a spin on breakfast this morning! Steel cut oats! I liked the texture, but they take twice as long as regular rolled oats! I packed on top 4 different kinds of nuts! Protein packing! 
Lunch was quite the mishmash!
Left over edamame, farmer's market spinach salad, tempeh sandwich with half an apple on the side!
I'm really trying hard to like tempeh, its such a different taste and texture mix....
But it is better for you than tofu and it is super packed with protein.
The naturopath told me to eat granola instead of puffed cereal so I'm experimenting with making my own! 
Melting down that coconut oil!
Crunchy Savory Granola
(adapted from Kath's recipe)
1 1/12 C Rolled Oats
1/2 C Raw Buckwheat
1/4 C Oat Groats
1/4 C Sliced Almonds
1/2 C Sunflower Seeds
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 C Honey
1/8 C Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/8 C Coconut

Mix everything together but the coconut in a big bowl and pour into a square baking dish.
 (I used an 8X8)
Put into the oven at 325* for 1 hr. mixing every 20-30 minutes.
Remove from oven when everything looks good and baked and smells delicious!
Mix in the Coconut. (This would also be the time to add any dried fruit you want).
Let cool completely and stir a few times before putting it into a container!
Yum!
Veggie Drawer Frittatta for dinner!
And my attempt at tempeh bacon!
Sliced tempeh as thinly as possible.
Mix together
1/2 T agave
1/2 T Soy sauce
Salt and Pepper
Garlic
Smokey spice of your choice... Paprika
Pepper flakes
Marinate tempeh in mix
Put on skillet set to medium
Pour remaining marinade on top and cook until hot.
A little too soy saucy for me, but decent. I'm still not a huge fan on the tempeh texture.
 
I made tonight's version with duck eggs and unsweetened almond milk!
4 Whole and 3 whites.
Made for a very dense frittata, but delicious!
I also have discovered that I really enjoy millet (GF) english muffins!
After dinner my Mom and I finally watched the Royal Wedding! So much fun! I love all of the pageantry. They looked like such a loving and happy couple. And her dress was gorgeous. It was also neat to hear all of the commentary. I really don't know much about how the monarchy works... or British history at all.

2 comments:

  1. I've been to Emmy's and I loved it! I can't believe you have never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! I meant to post that on, "Racing the Rain." I really like that you made your own granola too, and it looks so simple.

    ReplyDelete