Friday, May 20, 2011

Just Around the River Bend.

This is my 150th post! Wowzas! I really enjoy writing this blog. Not only does it give me a chance to vent, ramble, and recommend.... it is also a great place for me to keep my memories. I've never been very good at keeping a diary or a journal, but I wish I had been. There is something really neat about going back and being able to see how you were at a certain time in your life. Just looking back over the past year and a half I can see how much I've changed and grown.

I've been thinking a lot about the path I want to take now. I've been graduated from Western for almost 3 years now (holy crap) and have not found a career/passion/decent job. I guess it sort of got me thinking about what I REALLY want to do with my life. I started off by thinking about what I definitely don't want to do with my life.

Basically.... work at a desk. I guess this is because I can't really imagine being creative in this type of job. I know there are many people out there who have desk jobs and love them and thats great (never say never) but I don't think that is my path.

I've thought long and hard about going back to school (become a librarian, nutritionist. dietitian, writer, rocket scientist you know the usual...) but I've never really followed through with finding info and going through with the process.

So now I'm unveiling my my recent life idea plan....

Going back to school.

The Art Institute of Seattle.

Baking & Pastry Program.

Thoughts?

I have a lot to think about and figure out. On Monday I've taking a virtual tour with one of the admissions officers and will have the opportunity to ask a lot of questions (like.... is studying abroad an option?).

So my life idea plan after school would go something like this....

Work for a little while in a bakery. Then open my own Cafe.

They say you should look back at what you wanted to do when you were little to find out what you should do when you grow up. Well when I was little I wanted to open up a bakery that sold muffin tops. This was long before the name had such a negative connotation.

I have a larger menu in mind for the Cafe now, but it would basically be focused on fresh and local ingredients. I'd offer low-fat options, gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan. Basically everything that I look for in a restaurant and so rarely find.

I'll know a lot more after next week and there is a good chance that it might not work out, but if you never try you never know. I don't want to be 80 yrs old thinking to myself, "If only I had just gotten more information about that Culinary Program."

Today was such a great day! Sunshine and beautifulness! I've kind of gotten out of the habit of taking photos but here are a few food shots. I attempted to carb and protein pack my day so I'd be ready to race in the morning (which really means I ate a ton of food)!
The spinach was supposed to go into the omelet but I forgot! 
Dinner was inspired by my most recent Blog obsession: The Vegan Stoner
They make simple simple simple vegan recipes.
Usually vegan recipes have some weird ingredients and long drawn out processes, not these!
Simple ingredients, simple instructions and cute art!

Yummy Vegan Sloppy Joes!

I'm off to sleep so I can be well rested for my five mile race tomorrow morning! 

1 comment:

  1. Do it! I, too, always have an urge to do a culinary program (but have never done it because I'm a wimp who's afraid I won't have a job after all that schooling, hence picking medical). The moment you said Pastry/Bakery program I thought: "Yes! That's so Elisa!" I can totally see you doing the program and opening that café. You have so much coffee experience already, a little bit in a bakery—like you mentioned—would round it out perfectly and you are prime for opening your own place. I say do it, I'm behind you 100%!

    ReplyDelete