Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Whole New World.

I think this week's posts will all be Disney inspired...

On Sunday I ran 8 miles. They were slow. My average pace was about an eleven minute mile. I feel pretty good about it though... mostly because it was on the treadmill and I have a hard time staying focused for very long on the treadmill. I had very little discomfort in my shins after the run! This gives me a little bit of confidence for my race! I know that when I run with people I get a little competitive so I'm sure that on race day my pace will pick up, but I also need to make sure that I don't burn myself out. If I can maintain around a 10:30 pace that would be perfect! I think I've also decided that I should sign up for another half marathon in the Fall. Something close by just so that I can keep up my motivation.... Then maybe next year plan on running the Disney World Full Marathon?! The race goes through the parks! How neat would that be?! Anyways, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here! 19 days until the race! I need to stay focused on that goal! On Saturday I'll be running in the Viking Fest 5 miler! Should be a great training run and a nice distance.

Today I spent playing in the dirt! It was finally nice enough for me to get some of my plants in pots! Today I tackled the Herbs and edibles!
Everything from Mint to Kale!
I have a TON more work to do in my garden but I put a dent in it!
If the sun doesn't stay out... at this rate I wont have Strawberries until July and Tomatoes until September!
After I worked in my yard for a little bit I headed on over to my Garden away from Garden at Carly's!
We planted some Spinach, Beans and Arugula.
Check out these pests we spotted on her Peony plant!
It is time to start thinking about pests!
I have a serious snail problem... any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated! 
I'm exhausted! I think I need to bring back the goal of getting 7:30 hrs sleep each night!

3 comments:

  1. 8 miles on a treadmill is definitely an accomplishment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While there are pest tricks, like beer traps for slugs, etc. Some of these (like said beer trap) can actually be very gross and inconvenient. I'm a huge fan of the eco-friendly snail/slug brand 'Sluggo'. I think you can get it just about anywhere, but I know it's over at Valley Nursery for certain. Of course a bottle is pricier than you might normally want to pay, but I think that if it saves your plants it's worth it. I've been sprinkling some around my plants weekly and haven't had any major munching from slugs or snails. Maybe give it a try?

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. - The bugs on the peony plant look like ants. If they are, they're probably the ants that actually help the plant flourish. LeAnne has peony plants and I remember her telling me something about how she discovered the particular ants on her peony plants were actually good for them, so have a chat with her about it to see if your pests are actually beneficial insects!

    ReplyDelete