Thursday, May 26, 2011

Elisatarian.

I've been weird enough about food for a long enough time that no one seems surprised when I tell them I'm no longer eating some random food. But I'm a little overwhelmed with this latest food decision. People do seem to like a title such as: Vegetarian, Vegan or Gluten free. Basically there isn't a label out there for my recent food choices (was there ever?) so I've created one! I'm an Elisatarian. What the heck does that mean (now this is mostly for my benefit so I can remember everything that I've given up or was told I should eliminate from my diet)?!

The definition of an Elisatarian: Adjective 
Will not eat: Beef, Chicken, Pork, Turkey, or most byproducts of those animals (Think gelatin)
I'm staying away from but may cave to the occasional treat of: Milk, Cheese, eggs, almonds, peanuts and gluten.
I'm trying not to consume: caffeine, soda, and most processed foods.
But I will eat: Fish, Duck eggs whey and butter.

I feel like this allergy test is something that everyone should take. It should be a no brainer that the foods you eat can substantially effect how you feel. 

Are you bored with hearing about this yet? Sorry, its sort of consumed my life!

Luckily for me, I've been trying a ton of new foods recently and trying out lots of gluten free stuff. So on a day to day basis I don't think too much has changed.

I started the day with overnight oats (using up the last of my almond milk). Maybe it was the soybutter on top but I stayed full until lunch which is rare.

I hear so much about coconut water and had tried a flavored version before and wasn't so much a fan, but I liked the pure version. It is supposed to be really good for you with lots of electrolytes. I liked that the only ingredient was coconut.
Pre-workout snack looks familiar...
The changes: Soynut butter and millet english muffin.
Those are some sexy socks!
If you didn't know it... these are compression socks.
(Please disregard my ridiculously white legs! the sun never comes out.)
I wore these all day at work and during my elliptical and treadmill session.
How did I feel afterwards? My left leg hurt. Which makes me nervous.
But my right leg was feeling good!
I'm trying to decide how I want to proceed for the next 9 days before the race.
Do I continue as planned and run a 9 miler this weekend? or keep it to no more than 5 until race day?
I think I'll see how it feels, if it hurts I'll stop.
Protein smoothie for recovery!
I can't even tell that there is protein powder in these.
What I didn't picture was the half a bag of cereal I snacked on while I was reading through my latest library book: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions. So for dinner I was just craving straight veggies and protein!
This my friends is a spaghetti squash! So named because after you bake it you scrape out the insides and it looks like noodles!
Cut in half scrape out the seeds, place face down on a baking sheet with some oil or butter in the  cavity.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until you can poke a fork in it and it goes in easily.
I topped some greens with the squash, salsa and baked tofu! Yum-o!
Dessert!
Plantain chips.
I've been curious about plantains for some time now and the other day I saw them at the store.
So what to do...
Slice the unripe fruit with a mandolin layer a baking sheet with parchment spritz with olive oil salt and pepper.
Crunchy and pretty tasty.
But different... maybe even a little weird!
I'm so excited that 'So you think you can dance' is back on tv! It is one of the few shows that I get obsessed with and can't miss an episode of!

I haven't forgotten that the reason I started this blog was mostly for book reasons. I have been reading! And reviews will come soon! But do check out my book list page for my past thoughts on books.

No comments:

Post a Comment