Monday, May 30, 2011

Help.

Well I think I've done it! I think I've fixed "The Books" page so all of the links work! You should now be able to click on a book title and my book review will pop up! Now I need your help, if you find that any of these links either don't work or bring you to the wrong place... PLEASE let me know!

When I went through all of the links it became obvious that I skipped around on some of the books that I have read! Now I wouldn't want you to go without knowing my thoughts now would I?! So here ya go! A wholelotta book reviews for one post!

69. Hector and the Search for Happiness by Francis Lelord
How could you not pick this book up? If the name doesn't get you, then surely the cute cover art will. I don't know exactly how to describe this book more than the title already does. Hector begins a journey all over the world to discover what makes people happy. He meets people in China, Africa and the USA and keeps a list of what he observes that make people happy. These observations include things like: "Happiness is a certain way of seeing things" and "Making comparisons can spoil your happiness."

This book is written in a very unique way. The writing is very matter of fact. I enjoyed this book, it was lighthearted but at the same time really makes you think, "What makes me happy," "Am I happy?" and "Could I be happier?" Very interesting stuff. Recommend!


70. Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors
Suzanne Selfors is a local writer! In fact she does most of her writing in the coffeeshop that I manage. So She always gives the girls her advance copies to read. She writes mostly young adult fiction. It was really neat to read a book and to know the author. She is a complete sweetheart. And I liked the book! It wasn't as captivating as some other YA fiction I've read, but it had a good underlying message (I will say that at times that message was a bit too dark for my taste). She also has a book called, "Coffeehouse Angel," that is based on Poulsbo and the coffeeshop I work at!

71. Happy Ever After by Nora Roberts
Sigh... the last of the Bride Quartet. You know I love me some bad romance novels (especially Nora Roberts') but this series is actually really good! It could be because the girls are living my secret dream of living in a mansion with three of my besties and opening an event planning business together. I enjoyed each and every one of these books! I've read a lot of her books and I could tell that she had fun writing these ones. These would make for a great vacation book!

72. A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught
Did I just mention that I love bad romance novels? Well this one certainly falls under that category! Amazon recommended this book to me because of my love for the Outlander Series. I must say they are no where close to being in the same category! 'A Kingdom of Dreams' was entertaining in the way any romance novel is.... the predictable way. But isn't that why we read them? They are quick, easy reads that you don't have to think too much about to be entertained!

73. Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom
I've read a few Mith Albom books in the past. My favorite is, "The Five People you Meet in Heaven." Read it and prepare to shed some tears. What I like about his writing is that he makes you want to be a better person. A person who gives more, who is there for other people, and in this book: a person who has faith. I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I never felt a strong urge to keep reading past 10 pm. It was well written and interesting, but this time it felt a little preachy. That is one thing I don't like when people talk about issues of religion and higher powers. It is a fine line between talking about your faith and preaching your faith. In 'Have a little Faith, I felt Albom sometimes balanced nicely and sometimes was completely off the tightrope. I can see how this book would inspire many people but I wouldn't outright recommend it to a friend. That is not to say that there weren't parts of the book that I didn't enjoy, because there was. Albom is a gifted storyteller and he made some great points, I just didn't love the entire book.

02. Water for Elephants
I am completely at a loss for why I skipped reviewing this book!! The only reason I can think of would be that I wanted to wait when I had more time to really put my heart into a review. I loved this book. This is the book that got me back into reading after my slump! First I will say that there are some really dark parts in this book, but I hope that when you read it you wont let that affect your overall judgement of it. When I read it I became a part of the story (thats my favorite feeling while reading a book! And it so rarely happens!) The characters felt so real to me. I've read a lot of great books but this one is a definite favorite. It has everything I love about a book; love, mystery, murder, betrayal, and friendship. It also doesn't leave you hanging at the end. I read this on a beach in Hawaii and let me tell you, I sat out longer than I should have most days just so I could finish another chapter. Make this the next book you read! I haven't see the movie yet, but hear it is a pretty good, but promise me you'll read the book first! I want you to connect with it the way I did!

010. Help by Kathryn Stockett
This book has been on my shelf for ages. Seriously far too long. I kept hearing what a great book it was, but could never get excited about it. I had even attempted to read it before picking it up this time. I just couldn't get into it. Basically it wasn't the right time for me to read it until now. I will start with a bit of a warning, this book is written with a lot of slang. Once you get used to reading it, you wont be able to put it down. This is an amazing book. I loved it. Everyone should read it. The way Stockett writes is so.... Honest. That is the only word I can think of. There are several narrators throughout the book and each one is endearing in her own right. You will fall in love with the characters, you will cheer for them each step of the way. I think you owe it to yourself to read this book. Also, the movie comes out this summer... so get to reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment