Saturday, April 30, 2011

Highs and lows.

Sugar high. Runners High. Sugar low. Runners low.

That just about describes the past week for me. Tuesday I had a great (although slow) 4.5 mile run. By Friday all I could manage was a 2 mile walk.... my calves hurt so bad. I can't begin to describe how emotional training for this half-marathon has been. When I have a great pain-free run I feel like I'm on top of the world, but after a hobbling run attempt like yesterday I'm below low. My feelings are such a mix of being stressed, nervous, anxious and exhausted. But the biggest emotion is frustration. I have done everything... EVERYTHING in my power to get better and I am so angry that I can't just run. I just don't think that I can come to terms with the idea that just "participating" in a 1/2 is good enough for me. Walking is not as satisfying as running. Will I ever be able to up my miles past 4 without pain? Remember when I said that running was sort of like a relationship? That was no joke. I've shed more tears since I started training that I have over any guy.

On a brighter note, I had a really great day with my Mom and Carly at the Market!
Local eggs from the Farmer's Market!
I also got 2 basil starts! Ones a regular... the other is purple!
I also picked up some spinach, I've been in love with baby spinach lately so the big leaves should be a nice change.
They may be more expensive than the ones from the grocery story, but they are much fresher!
Obviously you can tell that I have re-embraced eggs into my diet.
Tomorrow I plan to set some food rules for myself. I need to reevaluate and detox. Ever since the Naturopath told me I should limit sugar, I've been craving it like crazy! Seriously, tell someone they shouldn't eat so much sugar and I guarantee that is all they'll want! And I've been totally caving to those cravings!! I love local bakeries and that they are at the farmer's market.... but they still aren't good for you! Also, when it says they are gluten-free that doesn't mean they are a diet item!!

From now on, I'm only going to set one new goal a week for myself. I seem to have too much going on right now to keep up with four or more a week and it is doing nothing for my mood when I'm unsuccessful.

I think my Debbie-Downer mood is based on a mix of coming off a sugar rush and a lack of endorphins from not running... Tomorrow the sun is supposed to be shinning and I'm hoping for a bike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment