Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Analysis of a Pavement Pounder.

That is me. No wonder I have such a tumultuous relationship with running! Apparently I'm a pavement pounder.

Today was my fourth day of PT and we finally got to some run fun stuff! I got there, warmed up and jumped on the treadmill. Let me just tell you this much.... running in front of people when you know they are watching you intently is a pretty awkward situation. Here is the gist of what I learned today...

I'm a pavement pounder.... I run hard, I always knew I was an angry runner! Overall I don't think I have a terrible stride, but I have some issues that could be causing some of my pain. These are kind of hard to explain without demonstrations and with only a very minimal amount of info and knowledge, but I'll try!

1. I plant my forward foot in front of my body instead of underneath my body. This causes me to not only hit harder, but it also makes me slower.... almost like I'm putting the brakes on rather than speeding up. This is causing me to put more pressure basically everywhere on my body. The legs get too much impact, my upper body is bending back too far and it throws my hips at a weird angle. This is kinda hilarious to me because my brother Joe has always called me "Brakes" especially when I'm biking, but also when I'm hiking and skiing.... so it makes sense that I would always be trying to apply the brakes when I'm running!

2. I don't have very good rotation. Normal upper body rotation is sort of swinging in a circular motion, I have very little rotation and way too much side to side motion. Also funny because yesterday when we were plating it became obvious that I couldn't work in a straight line to save my life!

3. There was also something about my hip and a lack of flexibility in my right leg.... I'm going to have to ask them to remind me of that one!

After we kinda worked that out (I probably only ran about a mile and a half) Lauren helped me activate my obliques. I was not surprised at all to learn that there were muscles in my core that needed to start working! It was sort of like active stretches... probably only about 10 minutes worth and now those muscles know to start working more.... kinda crazy but that's what she said! She recommended I start adding planks to my workouts to strengthen them.

After taping up both my feet and all the stretching exercises, I ran again and I could not only feel the improvement... but I could hear it! I wasn't shaking the entire treadmill. This is something that I'm going to need to actively be thinking about while running, but it should help out a lot! I tried to go for a run after the appointment but the tape was digging in too much. Also, it was super windy. I hate running in the wind. I'd take the rain over the wind any day.

This was exactly what I wanted to know! Happiness Commandment #19: Don't second guess yourself!

Overnighters with pumpkin granola sprinkled on top.
Don't like bananas... Don's have bananas on hand?
You can use any fruit or veggie in your oats!
Applesauce is good (on top too!) or pumpkin!
Tiny bit of leftover kale lasagna and a gigantic salad...
sprouts, carrots, arugula, spinach, tomato, broccoli slaw, and peppers oh my!
I have an abundance of veggies in my fridge.
What's a girl to do?
Roast 'em!
Zucchini, leeks, sweet potatoes, garlic, carrots on top.
Tofu on the bottom!
Topped a bed of arugula with the roasted veggies and smoked paprika flavored tofu.
I need to work on my tofu baking skills or more accurately marinating skills, but I really like this!
I also nibbled on some more sourdough bread!
I'm trying not to eat the entire loaf today...
I didn't take any photos of my snack attack today... but believe me when I say it happened. I'm currently obsessed with dried dates, apricots, raisins and almonds. 



I've been thinking some about books on tape. They would be good for when I'm walking.... can I even count that as reading a book? Seems sort of like a copout....

1 comment:

  1. i've thought a bit about books on tape. But i know it would only enable me to multitask, and the first thing I would lose focus on would be the person speaking. Like when you're listening to music while running or cleaning or something, my focus isn't on music so sometimes I miss songs entirely. I personally would have to lay down and listen and concentrate solely on that. Then I would fall asleep and/or might as well just read it.

    ReplyDelete