Friday, April 1, 2011

You Look Like a Monkey... And You Smell Like One Too!

Happy Birthday to my favorite red-headed brother Joe!

I had such an amazing two days off from work... I'm thinking about not going back! ;) Maybe I should start playing the lotto?! I woke up to a clean house! yay! That is basically my favorite thing ever! Have I mentioned that I am incapable of sleeping past 7 am? And by that I really mean 6:15, my eyes always spring open! I still had a great morning....I read a little bit with my cup of coffee then decided to try out my library rented yoga video. It was like no other yoga I've ever tried before (not that I am an expert) very centered on breathing and meditating... not so many long poses. Still very relaxing. I'm glad I just rented it, I probably wouldn't use it very often.
After my relaxing morning I went over to my parents house to make waffles and drink more coffee with my Dad! I basically made a feast! This waffle maker is extraordinary! It doesn't make your average Belgian waffles, but a thin crisp amazing waffle that is more pancake sized! It also beeps when it is heated up and again when your waffle is done cooking! Kodiak cakes with chia seeds are sooo crunchy and good! I also made a gluten free waffle for my Madre (already using Spanish!) they were pretty decent!
My shins seem to be a feeling a bit better since I've been taking it easy, but the back of my lower right leg is ridiculous! Possibly a strained calf muscle? It hurts to put pressure on it, so I was surprised when I was able to ride the stationary bike with hardly any discomfort. I like the stationary bike because I get a lot of quality reading time, but I feel like I hardly get a workout... So I tested the elliptical out for 10 minutes to work up a bit of a sweat.

When I got home I baked! I've been craving a baking session! My Mom gave me some zucchini and I immediately started craving zucchini bread! I have an amazing recipe for a vegan version, but since I'm attempting to eat better I really had to alter it. Usually I'm pretty nervous about altering recipes... You can find the old recipe here: Vegan Zucchini Bread. Instead of a cup of sugar, I used 1/2 C Agave Nectar. I halved the brown sugar. added a tablespoon of milk and instead of all that oil, I used 1 egg. The original recipe is pretty darn amazing... dense but super moist, sugary and delicious. This version was still good! I think I prefer less sweet things nowadays. Maybe next time I'll try stevia....?

One big loaf to give away.... and one mini loaf for me!

Lunch was a simple salad because I knew I had a big dinner ahead of me! While I was baking and eating lunch I watched a fascinating PBS documentary called the "Botany of Desire." This was also a library find! So fascinating. And not in a "Food Inc." sort of way that makes you want to never eat again. It is based on the book by Michael Pollan, who might be my newest author obsession.




Molly Ward Gardens is the best place to eat on this side of the water... hands down. First of all it is out in the middle of nowhere... just a small farmhouse. It has incredibly unique decor, excellent service and wonderful food!

Birthday Boy!
Thursday isn't too busy of a night so we had the place to ourselves!

For starts we had delicious rosemary bread and caesar salad (first time for anchovies! Not too bad!).

For my entree I went with the wild halibut that our waiter said had been caught that morning! It doesn't get fresher than that!
The wine was wonderful....

But the company was the best part! (I miss my biggest brother Marcus, he lives over in Yakima).

Then my camera died and I don't have photos.....of the dessert Carly made. It was a Chocolate... Chocolate.... Chocolate cake! Did I mention it was CHOCOLATE?! HA! Oh well, not my birthday! (I did tell her she had to freeze a slice for me! 24 days!)

So I ordered a slice of lemon cheesecake to go from the restaurant! (Local! A lady from bainbridge... she sells them at the farmers market... I'm going to track her down! I want to know her secrets...)

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend Michael Pollan. I learned so much from the book 'The Botany of Desire' that I was still reeling from all of the information for weeks after reading it. I'm a big fan of Pollan, he's such a great guy doing some really great work. It doesn't hurt that he has a great sense of humor, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished "Food Rules," love it! I can't wait to read his other books. They didn't have any in at the library but I feel confident I'd want to own them if nothing else, on my Nook!

    ReplyDelete