Monday, April 25, 2011

Vegan Day 1.

Today is my first day without dairy, eggs and fish! After the weekend of food I had, I'm welcoming the change. After all that sugar yesterday and all the dairy on Friday, I felt terrible! I was so sluggish yesterday and had an awful nights sleep. Which led to me having a pretty lazy morning! I got nothing accomplished in my mess of a house! The weather turned from grey yesterday to continuous rain today, so I didn't get any sun energy! Today was also my first morning without coffee or black tea! Green tea still has a touch of caffeine, but nothing like what I'm used to! I'm hoping that this 30 day experiment will leave me feeling light and naturally energized. I predict that after the 30 days I will continue to eat a mostly vegan diet, but I don't see myself giving up dairy, eggs, and fish completely. They will probably be a rare occurrence. I'm looking forward to trying new foods and new baking techniques! I'm also excited to see if it will effect my stamina for running. Race day is coming up soon!

An update on weekly goals:
The only goal I completed was doing yoga twice! eekk!
I didn't swim (this is hard for me because I work so early there are only two days out of the week for me to do an AM swim and usually I want to sleep in on those days!)
Sleeping more and eating better portions is continuing to not really happen!
I am continuing walking to do errands or to work one day a week. The weather forecast for this week makes me nervous though!

This weeks goals:
Read a book.
Do more random acts of kindness.
Keep up with washing dishes and laundry.
Get more plants in pots!
Stick with my week 4 training schedule.

So what does a vegan eat? A lot actually. I don't think my eating changed very drastically....

Swapped Almond milk in my oats this morning!
Tasted exactly the same.
Lunch was an experiment! A successful one too!
Kale, Veggies, and lentil salad:
2 C Kale
3 Carrots Shredded using a potato peeler
Sprits of olive oil
1/2 C onion
1 green onion sprig
1 minced garlic clove
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 C cooked lentils
1 T sunflower seeds

Saute the onions and garlic in oil 2 min.
Add carrots cook for 2 minutes
Add kale and lentils.
Cook until the kale heats up but doesn't wilt.
Top with sunflower seeds and enjoy!

So many variations for this recipe...
Collard greens, leeks pretty much any veggies.
This was my first experiment with lentils and while they aren't as good as beans, I still liked them very much.
Tonight was Classics Night at the Lynwood Theatre!
Once a month the old time-ish theatre shows classic movies.
Tonight's show was Giant the 1956 epic (over 3 hrs! I've never experienced an intermission during a movie before!) starring Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and James Dean.
I had seen this movie before, but nothing compares to seeing it on the big screen!
Before the movie we met for dinner  next door  at the Tree House Cafe.
The big Vegan test... What to order when out to dinner?!
How about pizza?! Hold the cheese of course!
The waiter looked at me like I was nuts!
Carly and I split this veggie filled delight.
It was so light and tasty without the cheese, but I must admit that a part of me did miss it!
Girls night!
So much fun!
End of day one of being vegan and I don't feel any different! It was interesting having to ask what exactly was in each of the items I ate. Fun fact:  the theater uses sunflower seed oil to pop their popcorn!

1 comment:

  1. You're right, it doesn't seem like this was too drastic for you as of day one. Although I have to point out...being vegan also means no chocolate in most scenarios?? I've heard that Oreos are allowed. :)

    ReplyDelete