Sunday, April 17, 2011

Elisa and the Bean Stock.

The last few days I've felt a little off about my days. You know how you can just feel what day of the week it is? Each day of the week has a certain feel to it, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. The last few days I've been way off. Friday felt like Saturday, Saturday like Friday, and Sunday like Monday... I don't really like the pattern.

What I think I've figured out from looking back on the billions of food photos I've taken in the past month is that that I don't have a problem eating healthy. I like healthy. The problem I have is that I like large portions of healthy. So here are my goals for this week:
1. Portion control
2. Sleep a minimum of 7.5 hrs a night (this is going to a toughie).
3. Do my library rented yoga twice.
4. Get over my fear and go swim laps at the pool.

Starting next Monday Carly and I are going Vegan, me for a month and her for at least a week, maybe two (but when she feels really good probably longer!).  This week I need to eat or bake with all my dairy products. I imagine that after the month is up I'll probably incorporate fish back into my diet. For a while eat a lot less dairy, but unless I feel like a completely new person I'll probably still eat greek yogurt and cheese occasionally.... I like it too much.

Blender Oats! Raspberry/Blueberry today!
I love this. Such a great consistency.
Today I blended a little less and I liked it more!
Next time I add a smidge less milk and blend even less.
I didn't add any protein to my breakfast so I was hungry earlier!
These bars are amazing! Find them in the refrigerated section.
The base is peanut butter. Hello Heaven!
The regular version has a ton of fat so I go for the lite version.
The next time I buy almond butter I'm going for this brand.
Lunch was a repeat from the other day!
Not as good though, the little oven we use to bake cookies has nothin' on my toaster oven.
One of my biggest portion control issues!
Mix and match trail mix!
All of it is salt and added sugar free, but there is too such a thing as too much of a good thing!
Kale chips on the left and an attempt to make collard green chips on the right.
Sprinkled nutritional yeast on the kale!
The collard greens ended up with the consistency of paper... yuk. Not a favorite.
This was me experimenting with nutritional yeast... It is sort of cheesy tasting,  but without any milk.
More recipes to come there!
A favorite mug of mint green tea with a Carly made muffin!
 This morning was so gorgeous but as per usual as soon as the clock struck "get off work time," the clouds came. It turned out to be a pretty decent afternoon though... good enough for some gardening!
Prepare yourself for a lot of pictures of our garden and our process!
After we snacked on the kale chips we headed out to the garden to play in the dirt!
Bean starts all ready to go!




My shirt says, "This Global, Act Local."
I'm pretty hippy-ed out in my toms and curly hair standing next to our organic garden :)
Garden food! From a local Wormery
We used clipped branches as out bean supports!







Bet you couldn't tell from the millions of photos that I love the look of these babies?!
I hope we don't get too much wind anytime soon....

Oh No! Slug Trail!
We sprinkled coffee grounds around our perimeter but are looking into other ideas too.
Pests are going to be a problem!



More beans! Carly got this awesome sculpture at a local gallery downtown! It is going to be one of our bean supports!
Indistudios is a super cute shop!
That is also where we got the garden mosaic sign!

Look at those roots on our peas!

We decided against rows for the peas and went with a random pattern!

Making progress! Joe needs to get the lawn mower out there! :)
I love our garden!



Speaking of peas.... I'm going to recommend another blog: Peas and Thank You
Amazing healthy recipes and she is funny as well! Her post from tonight talks about Michael Pollan, the author of the last book I read, "Food Rules." Smart guy with a lot of great ideas on food.

1 comment:

  1. Portion control is such a problem for me too! I just made my overnight oats and some how kept adding a little more of this or that and now the batch has doubled in size from the recipe you gave me!

    Are you going to make oats with soy milk now that you're going Vegan? I wonder how that tastes...

    ReplyDelete