Saturday, April 23, 2011

One Book Two Book

I'm having issues here! Photo uploading issues! Which means that sometime tomorrow I will post photos from the past two days (they were really good ones!).

For now.... how about some book reviews.... and a picture of my really cute nephew!
Book Update 09: City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
I don't get quite as excited these days when books come out that are in a series I've been reading. But I was still pretty excited when I learned that the fourth book in the 'Mortal Instruments' series had hit the shelves. This was the perfect opportunity for me to use my Nook to its full potential. I could care less to see the hardback version of this book on my bookshelf. I'm also getting used to using my Nook... the more I use it the more I like it! 
The biggest issue I've found with the Nook is not with hot it operates, but with the fact that my purse is now weighed down with almost everything expensive in my life! Cellphone, ipod (sometimes my ipod shuffle if I've been running), camera (sometimes 2) and now the Nook! The only thing missing is my laptop!
Back to the book....
I liked it. I didn't love it. When I read the first three I was OBSESSED! A lot of that obsession wore off in the year since I read them. I was glad that the author didn't decide to switch the focus of the books to a different character. All in all it was a quick enjoyable read. Nothing outstanding, but for fans of the series it is definitely worth your time.

Book Update 010: Twinkie, Deconstructed by Steve Ettlinger
Ok I'm tempted to not even count this as a book read because I put into action my Declaration of Reader Independence  and didn't finish it all. Mostly because I was bored. I like the premise, but there is really no way to describe every single ingredient in a twinkie and make it spellbinding. 

I probably would have read it all had the author not been so back-and-forth with his writing. I was never really sure if he was writing it to expose how awful some of the chemicals are or if he was just stating facts. The only people who will pick this book up are going to be the food-conscious-label-obsessed, so I think that is who he tries to bring in at first. The middle of the book is filled with facts that while interesting isn't going to keep me engaged right before bed. At the end of the book the author basically says, "yeah there is a bunch of crap in a twinkie... all those words you can't pronounce are chemicals.... but it's all the fault of the consumer anyways so take a bite and enjoy what you've demanded... because it is delicious." And I agree with most of that statement (it is our fault! We are lazy consumers!), but I guess I was unimpressed his lack of real commitment to any change. 

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but lets just say that I am glad that this is a library book that I'll be bringing back... maybe next I'll read something by Michael Pollan.

Speaking of the library.... I met my goal to do yoga twice this week! But the video is still sitting in my car, late being returned!

No comments:

Post a Comment