Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I'm Going to Rant.

Yesterday after work I went to my doctor to talk about my shin splints. I had a pretty good idea that she would just tell me exactly what I heard last time and what you can read for yourself without a $20 co-pay. And that is exactly how it all started out. She brought out a pamphlet that I had seen before and said with sad eyes, "run less and on a softer surface."
Not good enough.
Last time this all went down I was a casual runner. Barely racking up more than 2 miles a pop, and they were terribly painful. This time I did everything that I thought I could do to prevent them. I took my miles up slowly, I had good shoes, and I stretch more than anyone can imagine. So I told her how frustrated I was and how this was more than just ONE race. This keeps happening. I want to be a runner. I want to run races. Marathons.
I'm sure she meant it in a good way, but I still can't believe she said, "I wanted to be a runner too, then I tore my achilles and had to quit." (Then saw my reaction) then said
I think she knew it was the wrong thing to say immediately. Hi, I just told you this was my dream... if you could kindly not crush it that would be great.... thanks. (There were almost tears.)
Anyways, I then told her that I wanted to figure out why I can't up my mileage without injury and asked to talk to someone is sports medicine (aka an expert) that can fix me. So tomorrow I go to a physical therapist. It is highly likely they will tell me something pretty similar, but if there is a glimmer of hope that I can get better and actually run my race I'm taking it. Especially since I have health insurance right now, so I better get all my answers while I still can!
I can't help but be very "glass is half empty" about all of this. Feel free to call me negative Nancy!
That is enough ranting for one post I think... On the bright side...
You all will be very proud of me, I walked to work today! On Tuesday I tend to have a later start (7:30) and it wasn't torrentially down-pouring and since I already had my walking shoes on I went for it! It was such a blustery day! I arrived to work rather windblown (and not in a cute way) but it was refreshing and something I want to make a habit of doing! Perhaps another goal is in the works here?!
I still don't have my little camera because I forgot it once again at my parents house! And my Big Kahuna of a camera's battery just went Kaput! But I can share these two shots from yesterday's breakfast:
Overnight Oats.
Premix. Prefridge.
Overnight Oats.
5:15 am!
All mixed up with some almond butter and coconut on top! yum!
Nope that isn't my almond butter...
A funny thing happened with my almond butter...
It turned really really hard in the fridge!
Coconut butter is solid at room temp so that might be the cause.
Also, I needed to process it way more.
It will still be good on hot oats that can melt it down a bit!
Hey guess what?! I'm volunteering once again! After stepping down from my post as Marketing Director at the theatre, I've felt a little bit of a void in my community service responsibilities. Working at the park once a month isn't going to fill the void, so I was excited when Carly presented the opportunity to work with Poulsbo's Historical Society planning an upcoming event! Today was the first meeting I could attend. I'm looking forward to working with my sister on this! I'm also thinking of other places to give my time, if you have any ideas, let me know! 
Anyways, I'm all sorts of tired! Tomorrow I want to exercise more! I'm feeling drained and lethargic from skipping out these past two days!

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to hear what the PT has to say. Hope it's a bit more encouraging than good 'ol doc's words. I have my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete