Monday, July 12, 2010

Farmer's Market

Want to see a perfect Seattle day? Well here ya go!
This is view from Gasworks park. The weather the last few days has been simply marvelous! The fantastic weather made me realize something about myself, I am much happier and productive when the sun is shining. Even if I am inside on sunny days I am a million times more active. In the two days I had off during our hot spirt I organized my entire house, including my closet!

I also spent a lot of times with some of my wonderful friends. On Saturday and Sunday I went to two different Farmer's Markets. The first was in town and I have to say I wish we lived in a society where went to buy fresh produce and baked goods daily from the source rather than from a supermarket where everything has been chemically treated to ripen. At a farmer's market, you know where it comes from and it is fresh. My plan for this week is to make some Vegan Zucchini Bread. I'll share the recipe because it is so stinking delicious it would be a crime not to!

Vegan Zucchini Bread
Preheat oven 325, grease and flour 2 9x5 bread pans

3 cups flour- whole wheat
3 tablespoons flax seed (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder (optional)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini

First bowl: whisk together flour, salt, flax seed, soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and arrowroot.
Second bowl: mix together applesauce, sugars, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Add Zucchini
Fold both together.
Divide between pans.
Bake 50ish minutes until your toothpick is clean (in my oven this is more like 70 minutes.)
Cool in pans for 10 minutes the on a wire rack.


My second market experience was the Sunday Fremont Flea Market. Part farmer's market, part swap meet. I always enjoy my time in Fremont. One of the booths is full of furniture and other household items that have been antiqued in funky colors . I love it! Every time I go there I fall in love with something! The best way to describe it would be "Shabby Chic." Think Florals, antiques, distressed, and classic.

Update Book 56: Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood
I'm not sure that I could accurately describe this book without giving away a majority of the plot twist and ending. So here is what I will say: This book is about love, forgiveness, guilt, life and death. Most of the time it was predictable but a very enjoyable easy to read book. In about two weeks you will be able to see Zac Ephron in the title role on the big screen. I'll let you know what I think of the adaptation. I'm hoping it will be one of those rare book/movie experiences where I can enjoy them both individually.


No comments:

Post a Comment