Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Reading 2011.

Last year I followed Oprah's lead and created a summer reading list. If there is one thing I enjoy soooo much about this blog (besides my random rants and food talk) is recommending books! Making this list every year makes me look back at not only what I've read this year, but also at all the books I've read in my life. Since I like lists and categories so much, that is how they are organized.

Oprah's 2011 List and my list from 2010 and my book page that links to the book reviews I've done since Jan. 2010.


A book you probably cliff noted in high school:
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D Salinger
Because let's be honest, if you haven't read it you are going to miss a lot of questions on Jeopardy! But honestly it is a great book....


An edge of your seat mystery:
The Shadow of the Wind By Carlos Ruiz Zafon
I will use any excuse known to man to be able to recommend this book! One of my favorites of all time. It is dark, mysterious, and very captivating. The story is so unique and different from anything I've ever read before, I can't wait to read his other novel, Angels Game, that was released recently that I'm waiting not very patiently for my Dad to finish! The author pulls you into the story, which is my favorite type of book!


A book to steal from a teenager:
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Here is another young adult book series to ruin your life for a couple of weeks by getting you completely hooked! I'd say the first three books by Clare in the Mortal Instruments series are the closest I've found to rivaling Twilight.

If fantasy isn't your thing that read anything by Markus Zusak.... One of my author crushes!


Something old:
The Painted Veil by W. Somerset. Maugham
Written in the 1950's.... it is oldish enough to fit the category. I fell in love with this book. I don't even know how quite to describe it. It is about a selfish english woman who marries a man who is madly in love with her, just to get away from her mother.... I don't want to spoil the plot, but there are lessons learned and a harsh love story. Read the book then watch the movie (sigh... I love Edward Norton as the main character) Then in your head mesh the two into the perfect story.

Something true:
Born to Run by Christopher Mcdougall
Are you surprised by this choice? I don't tend to like too many non-fiction books, so I don't have a large stockpile to choose from when making my recommendation. What I do know is that when a non-fiction book captures me as much as this one did its a good one! I also want to mention that I think it would be interesting for non-runners as well as runners. There is a really engaging story here. I loved this book!


On the beach:
The Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts
Because no one does a beach read like Roberts. There are four books in this series and if you have more than two days to lay in the sun you could easily finish them all. The series is about four friends who open a wedding venue together. Each has her specialty (photographer, baker... etc.) Good, quick, fun!

On the plane:
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Everyone is reading it for a reason... it is really good. A few people have told me that they felt it was too dark, but I never felt that way. I couldn't put this book down. The premise of the book seems like something that I wouldn't be interested in, which is why it sat on my shelf for over a year, but everything about this book is wonderful.


Something to inspire you:
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
When I first read this book I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. It took me forever to read during a time when I was blowing through books. But looking back this is one of the books from that time that has really stuck with me. I find myself often thinking back to it. This book was also the inspiration for my Happiness Commandments. If nothing else it gets you actively thinking about how you can become a happier person... which might sound selfish, but when you are happy the people around you benefit the most.

And this year I've added a few categories....

A few weeks ago I was at my Mom's house and the news was on (shocking!) and they were doing a story about how well seniors in high school knew the fundamentals of American History. It turns out that only 13 percent of high school seniors have a clue about history. History was always one of my favorite classes in school. Granted I couldn't list all of the presidents in order.... but I could tell you who Abraham Lincoln was and what he was famous for, if you showed me a photo of him (which was apparently one of the questions). To get a sample of the type of questions click HERE. There are only three total, but it gives you an idea. I'm proud to say that I got them all right! Phew! I was a little bit nervous and willing to lie to you guys right there, but I didn't have to!

So here are, the newest categories for my Summer Reading List each of them has a little world history in there whether the characters are fictitious or not:

Something with a little history:
Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris
Theodore Roosevelt is my favorite president of all time, keeping in mind I haven't read a biography on each of them. But I did read this one. And I really liked it! This is the follow up to Morris' first book on Teddy. That book talks about his life leading up to the presidency. Theodore Rex is about his two terms in office. He was a man who had firm beliefs and fought with everything he had to get what he wanted done.
Some random things about him that I like:
He read a book a day almost his entire life (including his presidency). Making excuses about not having enough time seems silly now huh?
He created the National Parks system.... Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
After reading Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, a book about the terrible conditions of the meat packing industry, Roosevelt worked with congress to create the Food and Drug Administration.
He was a trust buster (he worked to break monopolies).

I didn't list all of those just so you would know that I actually did read it, I listed them because I really liked the book and it made me more interested in our nations history. So go out and pick this book up and brush up on your American history!

A book that you should read before seeing the movie:
The Help by Katherin Stockett
This is another book that everyone is reading for a reason and again it sat on my shelf unread for far too long. Not only is this book full of amazing characters, but it also is filled with American history. Even though the characters are fictitious, the situations actually happened.

A book I can't go another year without recommending again!
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
This book is a time hoarder, but it is totally worth it. I've never read a book that was so well put together. Kingsolver effortlessly weaves the story of five women over the course of decades. Never is it confusing or overwhelming. This book is one that will reach your soul.


So there you have it folks! My 2011 Summer Reading list! What are you waiting for?! Get to the library or local book store stat!

No comments:

Post a Comment