Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Something Blue.

You know what I hate? Local news. Not only do the weather people lie to me, but all the news is so scary/depressing. Every time I'm over at my Mom's house or click it on at the gym it makes me feel horrible. If someone is getting killed then someone was robbed and stabbed... or a kid who is training for his first iron man was hit by a car. I seriously can't watch the stuff. The other day I heard a story about a toddler who held its baby sibling under water in the tub because it wouldn't stop crying. That topped the list of things I didn't need to hear about ever. When I watch this stuff it makes me nervous to be out in the world. I'm not naive, I know bad stuff happens, but I guess I don't see the use in watching all the bad stuff that happens. It just creeps into my sugar dreams and makes them sugar nightmares.

How about enough ramblings and I give ya some book updates?!

011. Dead Reckoning- Charlaine Harris
Do you watch 'True Blood,' on HBO? You should. It is like a grown up 'Twilight.' It is still silly, but oh so addictive. The next best thing would be to read the books that the show is based on. But I will warn you, after about book 6 things start to feel a little stale. The weird fantasy aspect gets a little too weird even for someone like me who read the first 6 in about a week. I guess I'm just kind of bored with this series, but I will probably keep on reading them because they are so easy to get through and I have to know who Sookie is meant to be with!

012. Something Blue- Emily Giffin
I really really enjoy Giffin's writing. 'Something Borrowed,' 'The Heart of the Matter,' and 'Love the One You're With" are near the top of my chick-flick-best-ever-book-list. They are the type of books that get you hooked, make you stay up way too late at night, then make you cry while your reading them during your lunch break. Giffin sometimes weaves characters from past books into other novels, 'Something Blue' is the only one that is a direct sequel. I have had this book on my shelf for years because when I finished reading 'Something Borrowed,' I couldn't fathom reading a book based on the character of Darcy. After a few years I finally took the plunge and I am oh so glad that I did. I like this book. Not as much as the first three of Giffin's novels that I've read, but definitely a page turner.

013. Baby Proof-Emily Giffin
After I finished 'Something Blue,' I knew there was one last Giffin book I had to check out. Sadly, 'Baby Proof,' just wasn't as good as her other books. I felt like it was rolling right along until the end when things get wrapped up in much too tidy of a bow. The major issues of the book seem to get swept under the rug to preserve a happy ending. I was disappointed with this one.

014. The Engine 2 Diet- Rip Esselstyn  
I picked up this book because I had the secret idea that after I read it (and it was good) I would maybe be able to sneak it into my Dad or Brother's book pile and turn them into vegetarians like the firemen of engine 2. But my Dad saw me reading it on our camping trip, asked what it was and immediately acted uninterested. I know I wouldn't be able to turn him into a plant only eater, but maybe make him see why I am. This book was really interesting, but totally preaching to the choir. Rip is basically an elite athlete (iron man triathlons) and found he performs better with a plant based diet. He gives advice on exercise and meal plans. He also goes into detail about medical evidence. It is a quick read with some interesting stories, but Rip is an athlete and fireman, not a writer so at times I felt like he was trying a bit hard with his stories. Still a good resource (especially for men) to get a jump start on a plant based diet.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to take a cycling class... I wanted to go today after work, but my body is seriously in pain from that interval workout class I did yesterday. I think I need to do it at least every week, those are some muscles that don't get a lot of attention. I still haven't ran. Sort of freaking out, but I have started to put together my newest 1/2 marathon training plan. I felt like I did a pretty good job of it last time but I want to be even smarter this time around. More meal planning, rest days, stretching, strength training, hill work, mental prep, and more listening to my body!

Since I don't do well with goals unless I've invested some money or have publicly announced it... I've done both...Oh! look what I just registered for:  

Just the Half-Marathon! September 25th! It will be sort of like going back to school in the Fall! Time to get serious again

Sugar dreams await me.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment