Friday, March 11, 2011

Running with Book Updates.

Its the middle of March and I've only read SIX books! When I wrote my post for March 13th 2010 I had just finished book number 21! I'm finding that lately I've been reading a ton of magazines. Mostly periodicals that fit with my most recent obsessions. I've been reading a lot of running, gardening, cooking, home improvement, and traveling magazines.

I was reading through a running magazine the other day and found a random side note that mentioned that running on a treadmill can cause shin issues! Hello! I have shin issues! I've been searching the internet for info on shin-splints and had never heard that one! Apparently when your foot smacks down on the revolving belt it tends to shift the belt a miniscule amount to the side. That tiny shift can actually be enough to cause stress on your shins. Since it has been so darn cold outside I've been primarily running on a treadmill. Thankfully it is starting to warm up a little bit cause I'm going to have to change that routine!

It may be getting warmer, but it isn't getting any drier out there! Carly, Callen, and I braved the elements yesterday to run the St. Paddy's day 5k in Tacoma!

(Post race! Its a shame I couldn't find anything green to wear!)

This was actually my first ever race! Maybe a little silly cause I'm signed up to run a 13 mile race in 84 days?! Yeah well it made me a touch nervous that I would hate running with so many people then end up dread my half-marathon. But I loved it! We had a blast (even with the downpour)! I also found that I might be a little more competitive than I originally thought I was!

My stats from the race: I finished 792 out of 1607 with a time of 32:21 and a pace of 10:26. I was hoping to keep it a little bit closer to ten minutes but it gives me a better idea of how to pace myself in the future. The 5k length felt good, I ran the entire way without too much difficultly, but adding another ten miles on there is kind of intimidating! There is a lot of hard work ahead for me!

(Callen, Me, Carly: Pre-race!)

This is the next 5k Carly and I are thinking about doing: YMCA Y Run for Kids. Then I will be running in the Viking Fest 5 mile Road Race. I think those are the only official races I'll be doing until my big one, they are just too expensive!

Almost everyday for the past three weeks has been what I consider the perfect reading day. A perfect reading day is made up of many factors including: Grey-cold-never-ending-rainy-weather, the lack of motivation to do anything productive, and a really good book to read.

I feel like I've been holding out on you! I've been blabbering on about other resolutions while there are books that I read in January that I haven't updated you on! So here goes!

Update Book 04: The Reef by Nora Roberts

There is nothing better than a really good romance novel to read on vacation! Especially when you are reading that book on a beach and the book takes place in a tropical location! "The Reef," is classic Nora Roberts. I'd even go so far to say that it is Nora Roberts at her best. There is a little bit of mystery, a little bit of adventure, and a love story. I really liked this book and I was really glad that I had run out of books that I had paked so that I had to pick this one up off the lend me pile in our condo, something that wouldn't have happened if I would have had my Nook!

No comments:

Post a Comment