Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Gotta Run.

Today I had a bit of a running breakthrough. Since running in the Bellingham Bay Half-Marathon last September I've been in a bit of a running slump. Mostly just a total lack of motivation, for me running is completely mental. If I'm not committed to the a run, one mile can feel difficult. I remember freaking out before my first half, when just five days before I was supposed to be running 13.1 miles I could barely manage an easy 2 miles.

So today while I was running I thought a lot about what sort of factors go into making me feel like I had a successful run. Since you know how I feel about lists....

1. I gotta talk myself into the run well in advance. After all this time of training I'm still not completely comfortable running outside. The weather makes me nervous, cars make me nervous, and mostly I just hate people watching me run.

2. I've gotta be fueled up. This means food as well as hydration. The whole mental thing can precariously balance on whether or not I'm thirsty.

3. I gotta have my tunes blaring. I'm not always the best about charging my Ipod. Which is a shame considering I have such a hard time running without it.

4. I gotta feel like I gave it everything I had. If everything else is going well and I'm in the zone then the only thing left is just having the time to run your own race. I often only leave myself 30-40 minutes for an average run. This means I'm always struggling to run far enough or worried that I need to turn around soon.

All of these things eventually came together today during my run. I manage to do a pretty decent 7 miles. The best part was that I felt like I could have even managed a bit further. But if there is one thing I learned from all of last year's injuries its to take it slow. Up the miles slowly. I'm also reassured because when I got home I checked out my calendar and I'm only a little bit behind in my training. If I keep it up I should be able to stand at that start line with some confidence.

Basically what I've come to realize here is that I'm a freak. Seriously. I'm really weird about running. Major breakthrough.

Side note: I've taken hundreds of photos so far this year.... bit none since I've been back from Hawaii. You know I hate writing posts without photos. I was also looking back on posts from early 2011, when I was a good blogger, and miss all the random photos of nothing I took! Mostly the food shots. Maybe I'll start doing some more of that again.

1 comment:

  1. We do love pictures, so we support you on that one!

    I feel like I am getting to know myself more and more too...I assume that I would also be a running freak and equally as weird about running if I dedicated as much of myself to it as you do! ;) Isn't that natural to be particular about something you pour a lot of yourself into?

    ReplyDelete