Saturday, February 5, 2011

Success and Failure.

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2011! Ok...So I'm a little late, but the sentiment is still the same! Let me start by saying that I'm in love with 2011. I'd almost be so bold as to say that this is the best start of a year I've ever had. I'm excited, I'm inspired, I'm energetic, and I'm finally blogging! If there is one thing I dislike when I read someone else's blog, it's when they complain about blogging. Either being uninspired, apologetic, lazy, angry.... the list goes on and on. So I'm not gonna do it. Here is an update on my resolutions since my last post... (November...YIKES!!) with no apology for being a slacker.

If I learned one thing from 2010 its that the journey is 98% of your success,1% is how you rate yourself and 1% is how others do. As far as I'm concerned, 2010 was at least 99% successful!

The original resolutions with end of year results:
#1 is: Be Fearless....No matter what, don't be afraid to do anything that makes me happy.
Result: Fear is a very useful reaction. You wouldn't last without it. In fact, I'm pretty sure a complete lack of fear would result in the opposite of complete happiness. That is why in later posts I describe it as being "more fearless," meaning something along the lines of being conscious of what you're scared of and how to handle that reaction. As I get older it seems like it is easier for me to step out of my box and do things I want to do but might not have had the guts to do in the past. I feel like this resolution in 2010 was a great beginning for continued "more fearlessness" in 2011!
#2 is: Travel more
Result: Check! Check! Check! 2010 was a good travel year. One trip to Arizona and one trip that included six countries in Europe. Far more that 2009! We shall see what 2011 brings...
#3 is: Read 100 books
If you followed my blog at all you know that I started off rather cocky about this resolution. I even claimed that it would be by far the easiest for me to complete. Then August hit. I lost my passion for excessive reading and it didn't return. I fumbled my way through, only to make it to 73 books. I admit I'm disappointed but I will also say that I don't see this as a failure. Failure is a complete lack of success, but I see ever single one of those books as a little bit of success. No, I didn't reach my goal (didn't really get close either), but I read 73 books in a year! That is more than most Americans will read in their lifetime. And the best part was how much fun I had with this resolution. I met new people, connected with family members, and revitalized friendships. The end of 2010 was at times hectic, emotional and stressful, during this time the most valuable lesson I learned was that you can't do everything. Your body will literally fight you. Sometimes the best thing you can do is set your priorities in line and learn to let go. So.... to sum all that rambling up.... the glass is half full! Hooray! I read 73 books! Go me! That is freaking amazing! Anyone who thinks otherwise can stick it you know where! :)
#4 is: Drink more water
Result: If I had any success this year at all, it was in the drinking water department. I'm completely reformed. I went from a sometime 7 diet soda a day addict down to a h2o drinking fool. Tea and coffee also play a large roll in my sipping habit, but soda is a pretty random occasion. Every once in a while when out to dinner I'll order one, but I no longer crave it. Let me tell you what a difference this makes! I feel lighter, clearer minded, and soooooo much healthier! I want to mention that in posts that follow I will expand on my new health craze. Cutting out soda was just the first step in the total body overhaul.

So there you have it folks! The four big resolutions of 2010. A good mix of success and failure, lessons learned and a good foundation for the future. I feel like this is a teaser post.... I have big plans for making 2011 even better. Resolutions already in motion and novels to update you on! My focus may at times veer away from books, but I fully intend to keep you up to date on what I'm reading. Did I mention I'm excited and inspired?!

1 comment: