Monday, February 21, 2011

You are what you eat.

Why is it that the statement, "You are what you eat," can be so true.... yet most of the time eating junk food outweighs common sense?! In the past 7 months the way I view food has completely changed. I always claimed to be healthy, but the truth is, just because you have been a vegetarian since the age of 12 doesn't make you healthy.

Back in August when I began WW I began looking at nutrition labels (portion sizes, calories, fat, and fiber.) I loved that I could still eat carbs and the weight was dropping off. I felt good and had more of a drive to exercise. but the foods that I was eating were mostly processed precooked meals, sugar free this and that... frozen dinners and canned soup. Veggies of course came into the mix but only the basics like celery and carrots. Fruits were limited because of their high sugar content.

Then November came.... And the entire WW plan changed. I was ecstatic! Fruits came back into my life! Cheese and other proteins were now more of an option. I was still able to lose weight, and I could reach for a banana with no guilt!

The third step came when I discovered the magazine Clean Eating. This magazine is all about eating real foods. Making your own meals, choosing organic, and if you must buy something prepackaged making sure everything in the ingredients list is something natural. I had already spent the past five months looking at the nutrition facts, now I moved a little bit further down and began using the entire label in deciding what I would eat. Let me tell you something right now, label reading is sometimes terrifying! As a vegetarian for the majority of my life, I had always skimmed labels for the usual suspects like chicken stock, but now I was noticing other ingredients that I didn't want in my body. Basically anything I can't pronounce (like those 27 letter words... high fructose anything). One eye opener was when I had bought a bread that I assumed was healthy because it was whole wheat and low-calorie, left it in my cupboard while I was in Hawaii for two weeks and came home to find it completely mold free. That just doesn't seem natural!

So now I am obsessed (seriously, in a crazy thats all I can blog about kind of way...) with making my own foods, finding new ingredients, recipes, foods and ideas. I have been reading cookbooks, blogs and magazines like they are going out of style! (leaving little time to read actual books!)

One afternoon I came home from work set on making my own granola bars from scratch! Before I began recipe searching I logged onto my Facebook account, a girl I had gone to college with had posted that she had just finished making granola bars (what luck)! I asked her for her recipe! She gave it to me along with the link to the blog she had found it on. And what an inspiring one it is! The bloggers name is Kath, a 28 yr old registered dietitian. She began her food blog back when she was a student trying to lose 30 lbs. She blogs everything she eats along with recipes and suggestions. She has changed how I look at oatmeal, kale, and beets! I can't wait to try more new foods. Check it out here: KathEats

Now for some updates on resolutions... with a book review!

#1 Give to Get:
I like the idea of eating local produce. How much more local can you get than your own organic garden?! My sister-in-law Carly and I are beginning our plans for this spring! She has done all the work so far, but my compost bucket is almost full!

#2 Update Book 02: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen:
Read this book. Do it. Don't be like me and let it sit on your bookshelf for over a year because a story line set around a circus doesn't make you want to pick it up. This is honestly top 20 favorite books material. The story grabs you from the beginning and never lets go. It is romantic, dramatic, beautiful and ugly all at the same time. I love a book that can spark emotions within you, make you feel as though you are a part of the story, a book that makes you sad when you read the last page. I needed this book in my life! I needed something to make me love reading again! A good book was just the medicine! Now I need to make the time!

#3 Shutter bugging:
I've taken more than 700 photos this year. Granted I had a vacation included there, but I think I can be happy with my progress. I've always wanted to do a photo a day resolution, but I feel like most of my shots would be of food! (I already take too many of those!)

#4 Run a half-marathon... be active... get fit:
Training is continuing! After my epic birthday weekend I felt like I needed to repeat week three, so today I started week 4. There have already been some hurts and limps. No use denying it... shin splints are once again a part of my life. I stretch and I stretch and I attempt the resistance moves they recommend but they are back. Perhaps it is time to invest in some new shoes????

I like posts with pictures...
Yep a food shot! Whipped banana oatmeal with chia seeds, almonds and delicious honey almond butter! Yummers! (And what do we see in the background?! Plans for the end of this year! Spain!)


1 comment:

  1. Hanging out with a vegan this winter definitely made me more aware of ingredients in foods. Did you know that gummy candies and gelatin in general is made from hooves?

    I ordered Water for Elephants and will start it as soon as it arrives. :) Your description made me do it! Exactly the kind of book I like. Ghost Heart is on the same level, or at least it was for me.

    ReplyDelete