Thursday, February 24, 2011

Roasting and Freezing.

Baby, it is more than just cold outside! Today was a day of overcoming fears and learning, mostly because of this lovely cold snap we have been having. It all started when my car wouldn't start this morning... Not fun when it is 20 degrees outside and five in the morning! I was saved from having to walk the slick sidewalk in the frigid cold by a coworker, but I was a little nervous for the tone my bad luck had set for my day. Thankfully everything improved except the weather!

My Dad came to the rescue (he's always there for me!) and swapped out my old battery for a new one! I can blame this one completely on the weather! Apparently when it gets really cold out an already weak battery will go kaput overnight.

I got off early today to go on a little coffeeshop sponsored field trip! The owner of the coffeeshop I work for took me, the other manager and another barista out to our coffee roaster! It was so neat to see the facility, ask questions, and watch the process! The owner of our roaster is an awesome lady.
I love that all of our coffee is blended uniquely for us, fresh every week! It is also Fair trade and Organic!
The beans go into the roaster green and come out looking like the beans we are used to seeing in our cupboards! Temperature and time play a huge factor in the roasting process, these beans are getting cooled down!

Fun coffee fact #1: The average espresso shot is made up of around 50 beans.
Fun coffee fact #2: The darker the coffee beans are roasted the less caffeine they actually contain! So if you are looking for the biggest bang for your buck go for a mild or medium roast!

So you may be wondering what sort of fears I overcame today... Well, you know that white stuff that falls from the sky? Well I love it up in the mountains, I love it on Christmas day, I love it when I can just stay home and sip on a hot toddy and play board games all day long, but love driving in it. After one close call six years ago I simply refused! I love my life, my car, and the trees that I would hit too much to risk it! But this year I decided to man up. I've been holding back one of my resolutions....

#6 Learn to Drive in the Snow!

I thought I was in the clear, the only snow we have gotten in 2011 was when I was sitting on a beach in Hawaii! Then the weatherman gave me the bad news that it was heading our way. There was only a little on the roads this morning when I woke up but I was determined (chanting my mantra "Conquer it!) to get to work. But there was a little bit of divine intervention with my battery dying. But this afternoon my half-marathon training schedule said "RUN!" so I hopped in my car with my brand new battery and headed straight for the mountain (ok its just a hill, but still!) that my parents live on (also where I have access to a free treadmill). Their driveway consists of three hills consecutively getting steeper. I made it up the first two, but only 3/4 of the way up hill numero tres. this isn't just a straight up hill, it is a curving tree-lined hill. What were my options?! Well for me being the novice snow driver that I am, the only one was to slip into reverse, try to steer as best I could while my car slid backwards at around 80 mph (OK maybe a bit of an overstatement... more like 8 mph). Pulled a Carrie Underwood (Jesus Take the Wheel!) I hit nothing! But my adrenaline sure was pumping! Completely amped me up for my run that is for sure!

Everyone always tells me that Honda Civics are great in snow and that it is obviously operator error that is causing my scary moments, but I was vindicated when I left my parents house. After walking back down to my car I reversed it onto their driveway once more... Only to get stuck immediately (I hadn't even gone forward yet)! My Dad and Brother came down to rescue my distressed damsel butt, Pops hopped into my car and my brother followed in his own. My vindication came when my Dad had to make more than one attempt to make it up the hill! When we got to the dry road he said, "Your car doesn't go very well in the snow." DUH! Thank You!

So I think i get some points for part of the way completing this resolution.... just trying was an experience!

Time to go read my Nook Book! ;)

2 comments:

  1. People are always talking about their car batteries here in the cold temperatures. I've gotten exposed to so many thought processes that mild WA winters never prepared me for. And I am currently learning how to drive a stick in the snow! Exciting, right? :) Uff da. Good for you for conquering!

    ReplyDelete