Friday, February 25, 2011

In a Relationship.

"You are in a relationship with running. A love/hate relationship.
Running kicks you out of a warm cozy bed and into a cold hard world.
Everyday with running is a question of your commitment and running is not afraid to ask.
Yes my friend it is a constant balance.
A balance between joy and pain, work and play.... LOVE AND HATE!"

This is a quote from a Nike commercial from a few years back. I wrote it down and stuck it on my wall as inspiration. I didn't start out running because I loved it, in fact running was really tough for me in the beginning. Now most of the time I do love it and in a weird way this saying motivates me to stick with it. I think comparing running to a boyfriend is kind of silly, but in a strange way true. Running gives and it takes. I spend a lot of time with running, I'm always thinking about running, I have to schedule time for running, running makes me happy, and sometimes running makes me sad. In some ways my relationship with running is more satisfying than some of the relationships I've had with guys!

The shoes that make this relationship possible!
Time for an upgrade.. something with more stability and support I think!

100 days from today I will be running 13.1 miles... on purpose. 100 days seems pretty far away right now, but I know it is creeping up and will be here before I know it!

Training is going pretty well for the most part. But I'm not going to lie, there have been setbacks, which happens in most relationships. Running and I get along pretty well for the most part, but recently its been kind of a pain in my butt. Well not literally, more like a pain in my shins and feet! I'm working through some blisters right now and my shins have been warning me that they will revolt at any moment. I'm taking this as my body telling me to go a little easier on it. Its important that I gradually increase my miles so my bones and muscles get stronger together (we don't want them having a bad breakup!). So I need to listen to those aches and pains and rest when my body tells me I need to.

Week four is coming to a close and I feel pretty good about it! The weekends are always my long runs though..... Sunday I'm scheduled to run between 45-60 minutes (running at a at least a ten-minute-mile pace). I hope that the temperature gets warmer so that I can do it outside, anything over 40 minutes on the treadmill is pretty rough (boredom kicks in). think I need to revamp my workout mix before I tackle that one!

1 comment:

  1. I almost bought Born to Run when I was in Portland at Powell's, but I didn't. I had already grabbed far too many books. I love that store. Hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete