Sunday, July 3, 2011

What's in You Salad Spinner?

Check out how amazing the garden at Carly's house has become! We have gotten so much lettuce and are just now starting to harvest some peas, spinach and green onion! Of course all the credit goes to Carly on the upkeep! 

Peas!


Callen likes to "help."



Not proper garden shoes!
When I look at the before garden photos I'm in awe of how amazing they look now!
Also, I'm in awe of how terrible the weather was outside! Grey, dreary, and rainy.
Pictures like this make me appreciate even overcast summer days!
I don't know if I can handle another winter like the last one!
Running doesn't create enough endorphins to get me through!
My little container garden at my little house has been doing quite nicely as well!
Check out my salad spinner!
Bistro lettuce, rainbow chard, kale and Carly lettuce!
Today I finished my first Activetrax workout at the Y. It is an awesome program where you go through the weight room with a personal trainer and they set you up with an online account that creates personal workouts for you. After each workout you enter in what you were able to do and it formats your next workout accordingly. It is fantastic.... And free! I'm on my way to being strong! And let me tell you, working out with weights is such a welcome challenge!

Yesterday I ran 5 hard miles. The terrain wasn't hard... but my body didn't want to cooperate! For one thing I had waited a week since my last run. I've been busy trying new classes and cross training at the Y. I need to remember to focus on running! It was also incredibly hot (anything above 60 is hot, so upper 70's is considered sweltering!) I haven't run in weather over 70 since I don't even know when... maybe Hawaii, but that was only a mile or two tops. I'm also feeling the effects of my poor diet. If I'm going to get serious about my running goals, I need to: 1. run more 2. fuel better.

Here is the new workout plan... it is simplified from my last one. I like simple. Simple I can stick to and remember!

Monday: Strength and Cross training 
Tuesday: Easy run and abs
Wednesday:Strength and Cross training
Thursday Easy run and abs
Friday Strength and light Cross training
Saturday: Long run
Sunday: Stretch/rest day

It sounds simple, but there is a lot more going on here than when I trained for my first half. The strength training is really hard for me, but I think only running three days a week will let me heal. I also need to cut back on the fun classes I've been doing. They have been fun, but super hard on my calves. Half of the boot camp class is completed on on bosu ball. I just couldn't figure out why I was hurting when I was barely running! So for a little while I'm going to just do cycling and maybe some pilates/yoga as far as classes go. 

Half way through the year... since I already completed one of my resolutions, how about a new goal?! Set a new PR by breaking 2:20! I know it is only a little goal, but getting my time under 11 minute miles would be awesome. And it will get my confidence up for when I run a full marathon next year!

I'm off to bed. July 3rd is not a holiday... try to tell that to the people in town. Some people have to wake up at 5 am tomorrow people!!!! oh well, ear plugs will be my friend!

Have a safe and happy Fourth! God Bless America! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment