Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Habitual.

They say that human beings are creatures of habit.... I would have to agree. It seems to me that my good habits are a whole lot easier to break than my bad ones.... like eating healthy, exercising, blog writing, and reading..... The things that I want to keep up on are the things that I have to work the hardest for. Taking a few days off the blog became taking a full week off! But there is good news there... I've been reading and keeping up with my training, so all is not lost. These next few weeks may be a bit sporadic with the blogging, lots of adventures that will keep me muddy away from the computer.... but pictures will eventually make it up!

So how about an update?!

Half-Marathon Training:
This past week I did really well. I stuck to my plan! The only day I went off course was on Saturday. I was supposed to run 6 miles. Since I didn't have enough time I decided I would just run a really fast 3 miles. Under 29 minutes on the treadmill for me is unheard of. For some reason treadmill running is more comfortable at a 10 minute mile pace. It feels uncomfortable and almost silly to run faster than that. The downside of running faster is that I also run much harder, so I was feeling it for the next two days (which were thankfully a cross-training and a rest day). Yesterday I went back to the PT (finally!) I sort of got the feeling that he is confused as to why I'm still hurting. But this morning after the electrosound therapy and sleeping in my compression sleeves I felt a little better and I'm ready for my 2 mile run today!

Reading:
I've been hooked by the summer reading bug! Something about this time of year makes me want to sit down and read read read! I think I can probably link it back to my school days when Summer was the only time I was able to read something I actually wanted to! I remember the summer I graduated from college I read like 40 books because finally I had a choice!

The Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes
I would love to say that this is a book that even non-runners could enjoy, but I don't really think that is true. Too many of his stories are play-by-plays of his races. I completely gobbled this book up! Dean describes his journey into running. After a terrible high school coach he quits running until his 30th birthday, he then describes how he became obsessed with the sport and became an ultramarathoner. I liked the honesty with which he writes. He isn't afraid to tell an embarrassing story. I felt inspired by the way he juggled a full-time job and family while training for some of the most difficult races in the world. The time and dedication it takes to push your body to those extremes is so motivating. You should check out more about Dean Karnazes.... he is amazing! Running 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states?! Or maybe running a marathon to the South Pole... or how about running across the country?! Crazy inspiring.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
We all know I love me some young adult novels, but recently I've been pretty disappointed with everything I've picked up. It feels like the same story over and over again. But when I saw this book at the store, saying that it had won some award, I picked it up. I am very glad I did. It was such a welcome change to read a YA book that didn't involve vampires or werewolves... or both. There was a touch of the supernatural here though, but not the fantasy type, more of the spiritual. What I like about this book was how real the protagonist was.... she was written with such honesty. There was also a depth to this book. It isn't just a love story, although there is a boy. This is a story about this girls life...... of choosing life. Parts of this book are heartbreaking so be warned. I surprisingly didn't cry, but I could have.

Where She Went by Gayle Forman
What I love most about my Nook is that when I finish a book that I didn't know was a series.... I don't even have to change out of my Pajamas to get it! This is the follow up to If I Stay. I have to say this isn't as good of a book. It couldn't stand alone and probably should have just been the last 208 pages of the first book. But I would have been so mad if she would have just left the story the way it was. This book ties all of the loose ends of the romantic half of the first book. This is just the story of a girl and a boy, without any supernatural mumbojumbo. If you like easy to read YA novels you should pick these up.

The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta
If you are looking for something a little more thought provoking... Pick up The Abstinence Teacher. This book stirs up a lot issues.... issues people don't usually like to talk about, like religion and sex. I'm not really sure yet if I liked this book or not. It is an un-put-down-able books, but I think the ending was a little too quick for me. I like a book that at least ties up a few loose ends.

I really enjoyed the characters but at times they were a little extreme (the protagonist switches back and forth which some people hate, but I like). I felt like Perrotta told the story well from both sides. I'm not really sure how to describe it without telling too much..... but here goes. Ruth is a health teacher at the local jr. high. Recently a new church has moved in to town and has influenced her curriculum. She creates a bit of scandal when it becomes a strictly abstinence only subject. The other character is Tim, a recovering drug addict who was saved by the church. This is the story of an unlikely friendship and following the path that you believe in.


No photo today... cause I gotta run! Literally! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment