Saturday, January 30, 2010

Unexpected.

It occur to me yesterday that it is the little things in life that really affect day-to-day happiness. Things like waking up to sunshine, making it through all the green lights on your way to the grocery store or finding an amazing parking spot can push you from glum to joyous. Sometimes it is the unexpected little things that make me the happiest.

For the past seven months I have been Volunteering as Marketing Director at the local theatre. This means writing press releases, managing the website, writing online content, and managing publicity for the theatre. Volunteering = no monetary compensation. Which I knew when I accepted the position. The greater benefit for me has been learning about marketing as well as being involved with the community (it also doesn't hurt that it looks great on my resume.)

This is where the unexpected fantastic little thing comes in. Yesterday I received a phone call from a member of the board of directors. He informed me that beginning this month I will be an independent contractor to the theatre. This means that I will be getting paid! OK, don't get too excited, I'm not going to be making the big bucks. But, $50 a month when you are expecting nothing is simply amazing! Not only is the money wonderful, but the fact that they thought I was doing a good enough job to merit any compensation is the bigger reward.

Update Book 11: My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young

I know I asked for recommendations, but sometimes the books handed to me are books I would never pick up on my own. The historical fiction novel: "My Enemy's Cradle" is a great example of this. My mom gave it to me with a glowing recommendation. After learning it takes place during the Holocaust, I was doubtful it would be a book I would enjoy. Lately I have been reading a lot of books with very light content, nothing too serious. So when I finished book ten I almost picked up an easy read, instead I chose a book that would make me think, a book that I could even learn something from.

"My Enemy's Cradle," is about a young girl's experience during her time at a 'Lebensborn maternity home' for girls carrying German babies. They were set up by the Nazis to "increase the population of the master race." Just one of the many atrocities carried out by the Third Reich.

What I expected from "My Enemy's Cradle" was a book filled with sadness and war. I imagined it was going to be difficult for me to finish. What I got was a beautifully written book filled with the very best and worst parts of humanity. I've never read a book that can take place around such horrifying circumstances and yet still inspire hope.

This book hooked me from start to finish. What I appreciated most was the care the author took to make sure all of the details fit together. There is nothing that disappoints me more than a carelessly written book. This novel was so unexpectedly good it is hard for me to even put into words how much I truly enjoyed reading it.

Lesson for the week: Unexpectedly good things=Happiness

2 comments:

  1. This book I will read. Sounds amazing. (For some reason I love sad, horrifying yet somehow beautiful books, i.e., Kite Runner.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that it's the little things. They're what lift up a day and drag down the mood. Mostly, though, those little things carry us through hard times. It's something that makes us chuckle that helps us forget the bigger picture when we need to most.

    I'm definitely in for 'My Enemy's Cradle'. While I won't get to read it for awhile, I will so be reading it, it's a done deal.

    Congrats on the compensation from the theater! You deserve every penny and more, I'm happy to hear how much they appreciate you. Have a sweet day--with all the little things that make it great.

    ReplyDelete