Monday, January 11, 2010

Disclaimer. Love Walked in.

When I decided to start writing about my resolutions I knew a good portion would be consumed by the books I read. There are two reasons for this. The first is that reading 100 books in 365 days is going to be the easiest of my resolutions (you might be thinking, "What? Really? How hard is it to drink more water," but you are underestimating how deep my love for Diet Dr. Pepper truly is). The Second reason you will be hearing so much about the books is this, when I read a really great book it becomes a part of me and changes the way I think about things.

All that being said, there is nothing, NOTHING, I hate more than someone ruining the ending of a book (or movie) for me. I don't read the last page of a book before I've read all of the pages that came before it, I refuse to even read a book whose movie I've already seen.

So here is the disclaimer: I will be writing about the books. Things I find interesting, lessons I've learned, quotes I enjoy, things I disagree with, etc. But I will try not, to my best ability, to ruin any of the books I write about.

That brings me an update! Day 11, 4 books read.

Did I mention that lately my world revolves around coffee? I know most people can't start their day without a cup, or two, but it seems that almost every aspect of my life lately has been touched by the stuff. When I wake up in the morning I make some with breakfast. Then I spend 5 days a week mixing it into delicious drinks for the good people of my town. This week a few things shook up my coffee world. The first is good news, I am becoming manager at the coffeehouse I work at! What happened next was my brand new Mr. Coffee deluxe coffee maker decided to rebel by making plastic flavored coffee. I'm pretty devastated. So when I picked up book four of the year, I found it fitting for my week that the main character is also a manager at a coffee bar.

Last night I finished "Love Walked in," by Marisa De Los Santos. The first thing I'll say is that I completely enjoyed this book. Every once in a while I will finish a book that I know I could read again and still find new things I enjoy about it. The second thing I will say is that this is not a romance novel, but it is a book about love. All forms of love.
I enjoyed the characters in this book so much. The quick wit and clever classic movie references kept me interested the entire time. Now I also have to mention that by page 5 paragraph 2, I had become one with main character.

"The truth was, I was treading water and had been for some time. If you're wondering why a thirty-something woman who had gone to all the trouble of attending a university and slogging through medieval allegorical texts had risen no higher on the career food chain than cafe manager, I don't blame you. I wondered myself. And the best answer I'd come up with was that I hadn't figured out anything better--not yet. If I were to ever have a full-fledged vocation, as opposed to a half assed avocation, I needed to love it and, in my experience it isn't always easy to figure out what you love. You'd think it would be, but it isn't. Also, if you stay in it for any length of time, like anyplace else, a cafe becomes a world."-Santos

How could I not feel connected to this book? Even though she was basically speaking from my soul with that one paragraph, the reason I enjoyed this book so much was because it surprised me. Everything you thought you knew would happen changes halfway through, and the love that walked in is a love you didn't expect.
One last quote from this book that I adored, "A real life doesn't mean getting what you want; the achievement, the privilege, too, is knowing what you love."

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely ridiculously exciting and well deserved on the manager note. I wish I was around to come and visit you.

    ReplyDelete