Friday, January 22, 2010

Graceling

It occurred to me today that people may think, "wow you read 9 books in 22 days? That must be the only thing you do." Don't worry friends, as much as I sometimes wish I lived in a book, it simply isn't so. Wasted time I used to spend on Facebook or watching TV is now reading time. I have also found that I am always carrying my current book around in case I have a moment to spare. Blow-drying my hair, riding the stationary exercise bike, waiting in line for the ferry, riding the ferry, breaks at work. For the most part it is easy to find time to read a book that I find interesting.
Mostly I am a just a really fast reader.
People have asked me if I am even enjoying the books I have read so far this year. The truth is that I would read them just as fast, even if I had no goal in mind. I might have allowed myself a day or a week in between books, but once I get into a book I have always read them quickly. Two years ago I read the first three Twilight novels in a week. It was my senior year in College, finals week of spring quarter. Three novels read and I passed all of my classes to graduate the next week. So yes is the answers. Yes, I have a life outside of the books and yes I still enjoy them.
My laundry may be suffering though. Maybe my next resolution will have to do with folding clothes.

Update Book 8: Fearless by Max Lucdo
Did I mention my number one resolution was to be more fearless?
One of my biggest obstacles for reading 100 books is going to be reading books of different genres. It would be easy for me to read 100 books that held no challenge for me, but what I want from this resolution is to grow as a reader. "Fearless" is just about as different as you can get. This is a book about finding strength in God. It discusses all of the things in our lives that cause us fear. Whether that is death, a loss of a loved one, or being alone. This book, at only 180 pages, took me the longest to read so far this year. I think this is because I didn't have the "I have to read this right now to figure out how it ends" feeling. But, there were many good stories in this book that I found inspiring.

Book 9: Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I loved this book. Loved it. What this book had that Twilight and other similar books do not have is a strong female character. Some of it was predictable, but how the major issue was be solved I didn't foresee (you know how I love a good surprise). There were also a few other small unique twists that raised "Graceling" above other, similar books.
This is another series that is incomplete. I knew this when I started it, what I didn't know is that the second book is actually a prequel.


On a side note, although I have many books on my shelf that are begging to be read, I would LOVE some recommendations!!! I really enjoy reading books that I know others have liked enough to recommend.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, hello, Elisa! I found your email in my spam mail, oddly, but found it I did! I'm liking your blog, keep it up! As for laundry... what are a few piles in exchange for satisfying self-set goals? I'm picking up, 'Dead Until Dark' today, hopefully I can start it in the next day or two. See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete