Sunday, July 18, 2010

Friends in bookstore places.

Some say it pays to have friends in high places.... I prefer to have friends in bookstore places. You may have noticed if you clicked on the link to my latest read that it has yet to be released. That is because I've got an awesome bookstore connection! My friend Madison hooked me up with the advanced copy of "The Clockwork Angel." My friends who have read Cassandra Clare's previous series "The Mortal Instruments" were all drooling over the book! My two updates for this post prove that I have met my monthly quota of Your Adult Science Fiction. I think I'm craving something a little more mature....

Update Book 58: WAKE my Lisa McMann
I need to be a little less trusting of Amazon.com's "If you liked this, you may enjoy this," recommendation pages. Although "Wake" was entertaining enough, it doesn't match up to the other YA novels I've enjoyed in the past such as "Maze Runner," "Hunger Games" or "Graceling."

The story is of a girl named Janie who gets sucked into people's dreams. The idea is somewhat unique, but the story is incredibly predictable. This makes for a good filler book. Unfortunately it is a trilogy and I will probably read the next two since curiosity always gets the better of me.

Update Book 59: The Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
As I mentioned before, I read Clare's previous trilogy "The Mortal Instruments," and loved them. So I had some pretty high hopes for this one. This series is actually a prequel to "The Mortal Instruments." I really enjoyed this book, but was a little disappointed that all of the characters were basically the same as in her last books, just with different names. This could also be considered a good thing by many readers who would enjoy that. Also, something that bothered me is that on top of vampires, fairies, demons, angels, werewolves, and nephilim they throw in robots that are covered with human flesh. Did I mention this book takes place in London during the late 1800's? Anyways....

Setting aside how predictable this novel is I can say that I honestly enjoyed this book for what it is and can't wait for the next installments!

A few quotes I enjoyed from this book....

"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us."

"I've never seen anyone get so excited over books before. You'd think they were diamonds."-Will
"Well, they are, aren't they?"-Tessa

3 comments:

  1. Have I told you lately how excited I am that you are blogging? I love reading your updates. Congrats on 60 books btw! Not bad for July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have I told you lately how excited I am that anyone reads it?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since you posted. Are you busy or something?

    ReplyDelete