Thursday, August 5, 2010

It's Been Awhile....

I feel like I've really been neglecting my blog lately! It has been more than two weeks! Geeze! Well the one thing I can promise is that for the next few weeks it wont be improving any! The good news in all of this is that I am still reading! Even if it is at a turtle's pace (slow and steady wins the race right?) Anyways... I'm a little short on time, but wanted to update the last three books I've read!

Update Book 60: Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosney
Yes, another World War Two book.... But not JUST another Word War Two book. This was written in a very creative and compelling way. Sometimes I dislike book that change narrators from chapter to chapter, but that wasn't so in "Sarah's Key." The author or editor or publisher did something brilliant that I just loved! The chapter's written from the two narrator's perspectives were in different fonts. Not crazy different, the effect was actually quite subtle, I don't think most readers would even notice, but to me it added a little something. This book is heartbreaking in ways that only a novel about war can be. Recommend by both my mom and one of my favorite coffeeshop ladies, this is a book that everyone will enjoy.

Update Book 61: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
I guess I lied about hitting my teen fiction quota. Lets be honest, I'm a sucker for anything vampire/werewolf/supernatural teenybopperness. Lately I haven't been read very many that I could even reluctantly recommend. But this is a series I do! The first in the series is, "Shiver." I think it's successor, "Linger," is even better. They are quick reads that are smart, feeling, absorbing. A must read for anyone who looking for a teen fiction fix.

Update Book 62: Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
I think I used to use just about anything that was handy as a bookmark. Rereading some of my favorite books has brought this to light. Inside of "Into the Wild," I find a North Kitsap High School Hall Pass. Signed by Mrs. Beauchamp.
I really enjoyed this book. I have always enjoy Krakauer as an author. He is a journalist, which I think helps to make the type of stories he writes better. They are jam packed with information that obviously took time to research. This book is the story of Chris McCandless, a young man who went to live in the wilderness of Alaska where he died after four months. This book came out of a magazine article Krakauer wrote for Outside. While reading the novel, you can feel how deeply connected the author is to his subject, it is obvious he sees himself in McCandless. The feeling I got was that Krakauer wants the world to understand McCandless.
Usually I don't want to know how a book ends before I read it, but Krakauer writes in a way that still allows for some surprises. I also enjoyed, "Into Thin Air," also by Krakauer.

No comments:

Post a Comment