Tuesday, March 9, 2010

So it goes.

One of the things I love most about books is that they bring people together. The best part of this challenge has been talking to people about books. People really do love to read, whether or not they commit to reading one book a year or a hundred. Everyone has an opinion on books and I've had some amazing conversations with people about things like their favorite books, my book challenge, book clubs, authors, writing styles, and just about everything in between. Talking about books is sort of like talking about your kids, people get excited. There is a sort of pride in mutual book appreciation.

Yesterday my aunt told me she has been in a book club for about 30 years. Some of the people have changed, but she said that there has been a nucleus of about 15 women who have been coming together the entire time. I hope my own book club someday evolves into something similar. So far I have four friends committed, but someday I hope more people will join in. (If you want to join let me know!)

This months read is: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Update Book 19: Witch and Wizard by James Patterson

Note to authors everywhere!!! When writing a teen fiction you don't have to dumb it down. Some of the smartest most interesting books I've read have been geared towards teens. "Witch and Wizard" is not worthy of sitting next to any of these books. There was no value to reading any of the pages. No new thoughts, plots, or characters were revealed. What makes me the maddest is that this is another series! Talk about jumping on the bandwagon!

This is the first time I've read Patterson and I might just be disgusted enough to never read him again. Famous for writing the "Alex Cross" novels, Patterson apparently wrote this in his sleep. He writes "Witch and Wizard," like a 60 year old man attempting to be hip. I cringed whenever "WTH" (What the hell) was included in conversations. I could go on and on about how terrible this book was, but I have a much better book I'd like to talk about.

Update Book 20: Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Originally published in 1969 "Slaughterhouse Five" is often cited as one of the best novels written about WWII. This book is uniquely written, it is often schizophrenic--jumping through time, events, and planets. Then back again. But it is never confusing. Within the first chapter Vonnegut describes that this is an anti-war novel. He also explains how futile writing an anti-war novel is:

"You know what I say to people when I hear they're writing anti-war books?"
"No. What do you say, Harrison Star?"
"I say, 'Why don't you write an anti-glacier book instead?'"
What he meant of course, was that there would always be wars, that they were as easy to stop as glaciers. I believe that too.

A book about any war is filled with death, but this isn't a book that makes you cry. This is a book that makes you understand the harsh reality of war. Vonnegut is honest and at times funny... but not in a way that will make you laugh. I enjoyed this book. Some of the concepts of time and reality were inspiring. Would I call it a favorite? No. But I would say that I learned from it and that you should put it on your book list behind the "Book Thief".

No comments:

Post a Comment