Saturday, March 13, 2010

Dreams.

When you read book after book you begin to notice a lot of details such as themes, ideas, and writing styles. A friend recently told me that she is reading a book called, "How to Read Literature Like a Professor." I've added it to my wishlist and look forward to finding deeper meaning in the books I read.


Something I've noticed in the last few books I've read involves dreams. In book dreams can change an entire plot. In mystery novels a character can go to sleep, begin dreaming of the mystery, wake up and have figured out the answer. Many times the author describes how the character has dreamed minute for minute about something that happened in the past. This is something I don't believe happens in real life. I've never dreamt of something that has actually happened in my past. I might return to my elementary school in a dream, but the events are never things that have literally happened. Does anyone actually dream like this in real life?? Or is it a clever way to resolve a conflict in a story??

Update Book 21: Eden Close by Anita Shreve

"Eden Close" is about Andrew, a man who returns to his small hometown after years of being away. He has come home for his mother's funeral and is tasked with packing up his childhood home so it can be sold. He has built his own life in New York City, and being back where he grew up brings back memories he soon becomes obsessed with. The first half of the book has very little dialogue, instead it is filled with the thoughts and memories of Andrew. Which in another novel I might not have enjoyed, but here it seems appropriate, and creates a bond between you and the main character.

"Eden Close" was written in 1989 and was Shreve's first published work. It was interesting to read because I have read one of her more recent novels "Body Surfing." It is unusual for me to like multiple books by the same author. I tend to love the first book then read another and end up disappointed. Since "Eden Close," Shreve has become a more mature novelist, but "Eden Close" has moments of brilliance. I look forward to reading more of Shreve's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment