Monday, March 29, 2010

C.A.K.E Club

Today is a perfectly miserable day in Western Washington. The kind of day where the rain and wind beat against the windows and there is just enough of a chill in the air to make you crave a giant mug of tea. In other words it is the perfect day to make some updates! I've been holding out on you. Well sort of. I have three books to update! There are a couple of reasons for my lack of writing. The first is because last week I had jury duty.

I knew the instant the letter came to me in mid-January that I would be placed on a jury. When the letter told me the dates of my service would be over my birthday week, I sent it back with a more convenient date. After rescheduling once again, the week had final arrived last Monday. I called in Sunday and was lucky my number hadn't been called... or so I thought. On Tuesday when my number was up I journeyed the 24 miles one way to Port Orchard. Of course I was exactly what they wanted and had to serve on the jury for the rest of the week. What I had hoped would be a day of reading at the county court house turned into three days of listening to testimony.

The second reason I haven't updated is because I wanted to have our book club meeting before I blogged about March's book! Yesterday was the first meeting of The C.A.K.E Club (named for its founding members: Carly, Ashley, Katy, Elisa. And yes it was the pregnant one who thought of the acronym!) None of us had been a part of a book club before so we just sort of winged it. I made Red Velvet Cake and served tea because the main character loved the color red and it took place in England. We also decided on books for the next four months.

April's C.A.K.E Club Selection is: Bloodroot by Amy Greene

Update Book 25: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

I got this book off of a '50 books to read before you die' book mark. The first thing I would like to say is that I like lists people make about their favorite things and recommendations. The second thing I would like to say is that you kind of have to take these lists with a grain of salt. I highly doubt two people could agree on the items on this type of list.

This book is about Christopher. Christopher is Autistic. Christopher Narrates the Book.

I have never read anything like "The Curious Incident." I think that is why it ranks so highly on book bucket lists. This book creates a window into a completely different way of thinking and acting. To give an example Christopher tells us the reason he can not tell a lie:

A lie is when you say something happened which didn't happen. But there is only ever one thing which happened at a particular time and a particular place. And there are an infinite number of things which didn't happen at that time and that place. And if I think about something which didn't happen I start thinking about all the other things which didn't happen.

The way Christopher explains things make you wonder why we use metaphors, tell lies, and say things we don't mean. Everyone in C.A.K.E Club enjoyed this book and a general rating on 3.5 out of 5 was given. "The Curious Incident" was an easy read but it is also a book that will make you stop and think.

No comments:

Post a Comment