Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Side of the Mountain.

Update Book 23: My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

I'm convinced every adult was once a child who thought about running away. Some packed their backpack and headed out into the world. That is the story Jean Craighead George weaves of Sam in the Newberry Honor book, "My Side of the Mountain." Sam decides he has had enough of his life in New York and heads into the wilderness to live. This book was originally published in 1959 and has remained a classic. You can see how this would be a compelling novel for a sixth grader. That was the last time I read this novel, for a sixth grade book report. It has remained on my shelf as a favorite since.

(Interesting note: When I opened it up I found my sixth grade Vinland Elementary school student ID card. On the back it had some helpful hints for dealing with conflict that I think adults sometimes forget!)

Problem Solving-It’s My Choice!

1. Stop...Calm down...Take deep breaths...

Count backwards

2. Think

3. Try at least three ways to resolve the problem.

(Solutions are safe, fair, and people feel good)

At Vinland, I can choose to:

1. Ignore it

2. Walk away

3. Talk it over, listen

4. Apologize “I’m sorry”

5. Share, take turns, do something else

6. Make a plan

7. Ask for help


I was nervous about reading a book I had loved as a child now, through the eyes of an adult. What if I didn't like it at all now? I had such a warm spot in my heart for "My Side of the Mountain." So after reading it, I have good news! I still enjoyed it. If I would have read it for the first time yesterday I'm not sure I would have loved it as much as that first time, but I was so relieved to not find it boring and completely childish. So on to the next favorite!


*I also wanted to share a quote from the author's preface that I think is pretty magical*


"Be you writer or reader, it is very pleasant to run away in a book."

-George




1 comment: