Monday, March 15, 2010

Kid Lit.

Most people quit their new year's resolutions by the middle of February. I think this is because most people create resolutions about fitness. I was very careful that my resolutions be attainable goals that I knew I would have the willpower to maintain. So far so good with the four big resolutions! Water intake high, travels planned, books read, fearless moments occurring! So this isn't a resolution so much as one of my happiness commandments in action!

#18: Eat healthy, sleep more, get moving!

I wanted to wait at least a few weeks before I even mentioned it, but I have been "getting moving"! Exercising that is! And I feel so good! I'm sleeping deeper and my body feels stronger! Even my 'drink more water' resolution is helping! Less diet dr. pepper has really helped my endurance! I always hated running with other people, but now I'm using it as a motivator. My cousin and I have been planning weekend runs. Since I know she runs during the week without me, it has pushed me to do the same so I can keep up when we run together! We have even started talking about running in some races this summer! Starting with a 5k but our ultimate goal being a half-marathon! (Want to be mutual motivators?! Maybe a running group needs to get started?! hmmm well for right now I'll stick to trying to get my book club up and organized!)


Update book 22: Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

This is the second book of the Percy Jackson series, the first I completed right before the new year. Harry Potter it is not, but it is still entertaining. I've always enjoyed Greek Mythology so hearing a new twist on old classics is very fun. These books are easy to read....because they are written for 5th graders, but they were recommended to me by several friends who are more than ten years older than that.

This has started me on another part of my reading challenge that I spoke about in a previous post---my favorite books of all time. So I'm going back and reading a few books that I've loved in my life. I'm starting with the kid lit and working my way up. I'm kind of nervous that I will reread a book that I had previous loved only to find it boring or uninspired. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about that last part. My favorite book used to be 'Captain Blood' by Raphael Sabatini. It was the first book I'd ever read that when I reached the end, I wanted to start at the beginning again. About two years ago I picked it up to read and found myself bored, which horrifies me to this day (I've been in favorite book limbo ever since, too.) I was on the edge of my seat when I'd read it the first time, so what had changed? I think circumstances in one's life makes us more receptive to stories than others. You and I have talked about this and you've written about it here, how some books can only be appreciated when you're in the right head space to take great things away from them. I think the same goes for even favorite books, sometimes. I don't think I had the patience when I tried to re-read 'Captain Blood', it was a chapter of life that was very crowded with responsibilities, so I fully believe that I'll go back to it sometime in the near-ish future and be able to love it again.

    That said, I'm re-reading 'The Scarlet PImpernel' (which I suspect is now my favorite book and so had to read it to see) and I'm terrified I'll be disappointed. So I'm crossing my fingers for your trip down memory lane, but I think you'll have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete