Thursday, August 16, 2012

The New Workout Plan.

Running is hard on your body. It seems to be even harder on my body. I am more than a little injury prone. My most recent injury has me thinking that perhaps I need to rethink my training plan. In a perfect world I could run everyday as far and as fast as I like. We all know we live in a less than perfect world and my training is even further from perfect. I'm constantly learning how to train smarter for my body. The first step was to have rest days between runs. I then incorporated cross-training into my training. But even a smart runner can become injured simply from the constant pounding incurred from running every other day at a moderate pace. So what's a gal to do? Not running is not an option. Not racing is also not an option. So I've been researching other training programs. Programs that don't just have you adding miles to your long run every week. So here is the new plan I'm going to be using for the remainder of my marathon training.

http://www.rundisney.com/training/#disneyworld-marathon

If you know me at all... then you know I love me some Disney. I've looked into this method before, but always felt it was a little bit wimpy. Run/walk/run..... I just want to run! But reality is a funny thing and I'm not laughing about all the injuries I've had in the last two years. This seems to be the easiest on your body. And let's be honest... I'm much too young to feel this damn old. 26.2 miles is going to be incredibly difficult no matter how I complete it.

The time limit of the Bellingham Bay Marathon is 6 hrs. That is the only time constraint I'm willing to put on myself. I just need to be a little under 14 minute miles. Run 3 minutes at 10 minute mile pace walk 1 minute. Easy does it.

I ran 3 miles straight yesterday (after my motivational blog post) without pain. I was a little sore the rest of the day, but I'm taking this as a sign of improvement.... that all the resting is paying off!

No comments:

Post a Comment