Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Angel's Game.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the same book has been featured in my, "What I'm Reading Right Now" column since.... oh... January. I started The Angel's Game on my trip to Hawaii. After getting about half-way through I just needed to read something a little more beachy than this gothic mystery. Since then I've started a few more books, some of which I have even finished! But a few others that I haven't. I began to feel a little weighed down by all of my bookmarked novels. So I did something about it. I finished a book...and.... I'm going to review it!

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

You know when you read a book and you fall in love? It feels like you were meant to read that particular book at that particular moment in your life and that the author wrote the book just for your eyes? That was kind of the feeling I had when I finished The Shadow of the Wind, also by Ruiz Zafon. Read my original book review here: The Shadow of the Wind. So I had some pretty high hopes for The Angel's Game. 

I originally purchased it as a Christmas present for my Dad in 2011. We had both Enjoyed Ruiz Zafon's writing so I thought it would be a nice present.

I have to say that I did not have the same deep feelings this time around. The Angel's Game is a mystery full of dozens of characters all with Spanish names. I think I lost some of the magic (and possibly understanding) by not picking the book up for so many months. When I finished the last pages I felt like I missed something.... that some major theme or plot was lost on me.

I suppose I can't recommend this book to everyone.... If you've read The Shadow of the Wind and enjoyed it... then please read The Angel's Game and then call me so we can discuss!

In other news.... I'm so proud of my Papa! My Dad is a homebrewer and won Best in Class at this year's Kitsap County Fair for one of his beers! Since this is one of the beers I watched boil I'm taking a little bit of the credit!



1 comment:

  1. I just bought Angel's Game and Shadow of the Wind on Amazon. Does it work to read Angel's Game first? I mean, it is a prequel to Shadow of the Wind, right?

    ReplyDelete