Monday, September 19, 2011

There is no Arizona...

I like that country song.... Its not true though, there is an Arizona and it's hot. Unbearably hot this time of year. 

My friend Megan just moved down to the Phoenix area to get her masters at Arizona State University. Last week I went down to visit her. I don't know if you live in the Seattle area, but if you do... you'll understand why I didn't think we were going to have a Summer at all. May, June, July, and most of August were dreadful around here! So I planned my trip for September thinking i'd get a little bit of sun before Fall hit us. Well things finally warmed up here right in time for me to leave! So while I was in the sweltering, unforgiving Arizona sun.... of course Washington decided to warm up to a perfect 85! 

If you'll remember back to my last encounter with Arizona in 2010 I loved the April weather! It hadn't been hot in WA in a LOOOOOONG time and it wasn't ridiculously warm there yet. I think that I could be one of those old people who chases the sun... live in Washington during from the end of spring to Christmas then go south for the sun for a few months! One thing is for sure though, I could never live somewhere that maintained a temperature above 95 after midnight. No thanks!

Despite the sweat-inducing weather I had a great time down in the desert! It was relaxing and fun.

We went to an ASU football game versus Missouri. I had never been to a college game besides WSU, which has a much smaller stadium. The Sun devils managed a victory in overtime. It was a great game!

Megan and I after the game. The team had just revealed their new black uniforms so everyone wore shirts that said "Fear the Fork." Sometimes I wish I had gone to a big University that had so much school spirit instead of a smaller school that got rid of its football program.
The big cities down there are actually pretty close together. Megan lives in Mesa which is a little ways away from Phoenix. We did a day trip over to Scottsdale to walk around the shops and eat ice cream!

The weather down there was down right crazy!
We had several thunder and lightning storms that were accompanied by torrential downpours!
Have I mentioned before that I really really really like football?!
I originally was going to plan my trip to coincide with the Seahawks playing the Cardinals, but unfortunately that doesn't happen until January when I'll be in Hawaii!
But I still wanted to catch a game while I was there. And it was a great game!
Cardinals Vs. Panthers
Cam Newton had an amazing game for a rookie!
He broke Peyton Manning's record for most yards thrown!
September 11th tribute.

It was cool to see another stadium.... but I will say that the Cardinals fans are really lame compared to Seahawks fans. The stadium is a dome (thank goodness I loved the A/C) and they still weren't very loud! 

On the way home he encountered a dust storm.
Down there they call them.... Haboobs.
Such a funny name.

Driving into the storm.

Next on our adventure list was a day trip to Sedona!

The drive was about 2 hours.... made me glad we didn't decide to drive all the way to the Grand Canyon like I had wanted!

The area around Sedona was beautiful.

Red Rocks.



The actual town of Sedona was nice. Lots of shops with the same stuff.... and tons of physics.

All in all it was a great trip!
I am glad to be home though. I need to focus on getting back into a routine.... just to leave again this weekend for my half marathon! In other exciting news.... I am on top of the leader-board in my fantasy football league! I don't know if I mentioned this before... but I was terrible last year. So my two wins this year definitely tie how many wins I had last year! I'm trying to enjoy this moment because you just never know how the next week is gonna go! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment