Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hunger Games

Well folks, I'm moving into the future. I finally am in possession of a smart phone. Since Verizon lacks the iphone, I went with the Droid. If you would have asked me a week ago if I needed anything besides the text and phone function, I would have said "Heck no!" Ask me today and I will tell you that I don't know how to live without it! One of this things I'm most excited about is that I was able to sync my google calendar with my phone. I'm excited to get organized, something I've attempted and failed to make resolutions about all year long.

Update Book 66: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
There is something very sad about finishing a series. No matter how many times I do it, I still feel like I'm saying goodbye to a friend. After three books, the story kind of becomes a part of your life. Spending so much time with the characters, it is very sad when you realize you wont read anything new about them.

This is the third and final book in the series, 'The Hunger Games." These books take place in a post apocalyptic America, now known as Panem. Panem is divided into 13 districts which are ruled by the Capitol. About 75 years ago the districts tried to rebel against the Capitol and lost, so to punish the districts the Capitol created The Hunger Games. Every year two children aged about 12-17 are picked from each district, sent into some crazy landscape (the arena) and forced to fight until only one remains. Sounds brutal and terrible, but it makes for a great story! This series has an excellent main character in Katniss Everdeen. These books are categorized as young adult, but I think this is another instance where adults may get more out of it then the kids it was written for. There is a definite underlying political message going on, but feel free to get lost in the adventure and love triangle.

The first half of this "Mockingjay" was Hunger Games business as usual. The last half I felt rushed. Instead of experiencing everything first hand with the narrator, she just explains everything real quick and sticks a pretty little bow on top. It all ends the way I want it to, but not in the way I wanted it to. The whole point of reading a book, for me at least, isn't about knowing how it ends, but the journey you take. I really felt that Collins took that away from me. I understand that if she had written everything out it would have been twice the size and I probably would have complained about its excessive detailing. But after devoting my time to the series I wanted the conclusion to thorough, not rushed. I still recommend the series to everyone, young and old, but can't hide my dissatisfaction with the conclusion. I just wanted more.

*I just reread my review of this book and realized I should clarify. I sometimes rant about something small in a book that bugs me and it makes it seem like I didn't like the entire book, but I did. I did the same thing with 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." One detail about the translation bugged me and it made it seem that I didn't like the book, when I really did. I try to finish everything off with an "I recommend" if I liked it. Trust that more than my picky ramblings.

1 comment:

  1. I would have welcomed another 100 pages. I didn't want it to end in general and I am in agreeance about the way it did end. I needed more from a series finale.

    ReplyDelete