Monday, January 9, 2017

2016 in Review.

2017. 2017. 2017. 2017. Sorry... I'm trying to get used to typing it. I feel like I just got used to 2016 and now it's history. And WOW! What a history 2016 made. For so many people all I heard was how hard/miserable/sad 2016 was. I'll admit that I'm inclined to see 2016 through the lens of those people. There were some hard moments. Some times when I was sick/tired/miserable but I have to admit that there were some other moments that were just out of this world. So those are the moments I'll hold on to when I look back at 2016. So here is a little year in review. Pretty much just the highlights.
When your husband tells you the weather report and tells you to pack your bags for your birthday, you get pretty excited!

When you end up at the Happiest Place on Earth... 
You pretty much can't smile any bigger.



Did I mention that it was my 30th birthday?! It was basically the best day ever. Somehow the park wasn't too overcrowded and we had such a blast! I felt like a princess and people were even calling me princess! 




When we got home I was able to celebrate with friends and family as well. It was a great party, but the highlight was absolutely when everyone sang me happy birthday. I don't think that it was recorded, but to me it sounded like the most harmonious version ever sang by a bunch of people who can't carry a tune!

I reorganized my living room into a dream reading room!
I planted these...
And they turned into these!
We spent time in Yakima with my oldest brother, Marcus and his wife, Tamara! We tasted delicious food, drank delicious wine, and played Trivial Pursuit!

I had probably my best crop of tomatoes ever and...
Holy smokes! Raspberries! Which made delicious jam!


No Hawaii for 2016, instead we spent a week in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Caught some sun, saw one of the wonders of the world, and watched one of my besties, Nicole get hitched.
At least once a year I like to go out camping with my family. This year it was at our family friends' property. I got my fix of s'mores, ladder golf, and spike ball.

In September we got the chance to go back down to Southern California for my college roommate, Jenna's wedding. Seriously, 2016 can not possibly be that bad. We went to Disneyland twice. TWICE! I mean no joke, multiple days in 2016 were spent in Disneyland. I have nothing to complain about ever. (Also, best husband ever, right?!)
Our traveling wasn't done for the year though... In October we hopped on a plane (well... many planes)
for Uganda and Malawi. Pictured here is Peter. The little boy my parents sponsor. He was so sweet and adorable!
I've been working at Children of the Nations (COTN) now for a little over a year. Traveling this time to Africa was so different from our trip in 2013. Not only was it planned so much better, but I felt so much more invested in the stories of these children and students.

Each time I've been in Africa (twice now) I'm amazed at how close I feel to God there. In a place that has seen so much pain and suffering the way that the people worship and the stories they tell, it's so obvious that God is moving there.

In the last two months of the year, Brian got the flu and I got something pretty close to the flu, so everything was kind of a blur. We enjoyed as much of the season and family as we possibly could though!

So yeah, maybe everyone should do a quick look back on 2016. Try not to pay attention to politics or things that happened outside of what you can control. Life is pretty amazing in those little moment and a year shouldn't just be judged by the headlines.


No comments:

Post a Comment