Sunday, April 9, 2017

Grow Grow Grow!

Prepare yourself for a lot of photos of dirt and small plants! In an effort to keep my gardening costs down a little bit this year, I decided I would give growing seeds another shot. This is something I've tried in the past with mixed results. But this year, I am all in. 



I chose a mix of flowers and veggies seeds, got a little seed starting kit, and some soil.

Alyssum, Zinnia, Columbine, Lupine, Sweet Pea, Poppy, Zucchini, Tomato, Beans

I covered them with the plastic lid and placed them in my guest room with the curtain open. The plastic lid was key. It created a little greenhouse effect.... the good kind.

In just a few days there were little seedlings sprouting from almost every spot!
I had no luck with the Columbine. Maybe they were dud seeds?

These guys were magical to watch burst out of the soil.

Their first day outside!


I had so much fun with the first batch, I decided to start another batch with the leftover seeds and some found objects! It worked too!

Now I just need to figure out where I want these guys to go! They are ready for the ground.
I have a few places in mind for my little farm, but I'm a little undecided. The weather lately has been so weird! Usually I'd be digging up my winter garden (daffodils, bluebells, etc.) but everything is a month late! It feels wrong to dig up flowers that are still blooming or haven't started blooming yet. If I don't get some of these seedlings and my dahlias in the ground soon I won't have blooms this summer when I want them! We are probably past the last freeze, but I'm going to wait one more week before I really get planting. Maybe I'll start another batch of seedlings this week to keep me busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment