Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Was there snow today?

I'm tired. I'm tired of the weather. I'm tired of feeling tired.... but mostly I'm tired of feeling tired from the lack of sunshine. I'm tired of wanting to go for a run then looking outside and either seeing a monsoon or a blustery freezing day.

I want running weather.

I'm not going to pretend I'm a tough all weather kind of runner. I'm not. I've ran in the wind, the rain, the hail and the snow. The truth is I hate it. Most of those instances happened either mid-run or during a race. If I have a choice I'll almost always choose the treadmill on a crummy day.

But, I have a couple of problems with indoor running.

1. Have you ever attempted to run on a treadmill for ten miles? It sucks. Half of running is mental so after about mile three you really have to start pulling from your mental reserves. (Note: It doesn't suck half as much as it sucks to run ten miles in the sleet and wind)

2. I don't like running on the treadmill at the gym. I feel too exposed and I always sense that the person next to me is trying to race me.

3. I think I've worn out my parent's treadmill. It doesn't happen every time, but there have been a few instances where the belt starts to hesitate, it stops moving in a continual forward motion. Not enough to throw me off the machine, just enough to scare the living daylights out of me and make me grab the handrail with one hand and my heart with the other.

Don't worry though.... I'm completely aware that all of these things are just excuses. Reasons why I'm not training as hard as I need to be. There are only 81 days left until my marathon and I've been a big slacker! I need to get my head in the game here. All I'm saying is that I could use a little help from the weather to motivate me. I know training for a marathon and running one aren't supposed to be easy, I just wish that it wasn't so hard either.

Wow. Rereading that leaves me with the feeling that I don't like running. Not true I say! I just like perfect running. Magical running. I'm searching for the perfect run and the Washington weather just isn't setting the scene!

Pouty-slacker-girl rant complete.

1 comment:

  1. Lets' see now....old guy can go out on a bike in 27 degree weather with unknown windchill....young gal can't go out for a run all bundled up in Gortex...what's wrong with you!!!!
    Espresso Mike

    ReplyDelete