Friday, February 5, 2010

One month recap

So here is a recap with updates of all the random things I have resolved to do so far this year. Starting with my first four:
Be more fearless: So far I'm not sure I have really lived up to this resolution. I have had a couple of small fearless moments, but for the most part I'm only willing to be mildly fearless at this point. I knew I couldn't change with this resolution over night.
Travel More: Two trips planned for the year. Arizona in April. Europe in August (not the original cruise I spoke about earlier). I'm hoping to also plan some smaller weekend trips once spring is here.
Read 100 books: 13 books read. This week I've been plagued with headaches. I'm not sure if they are from excessive reading, excessive coffee, or lack of sleep. Possibly a mixture of all. So I've only read one book this week. Luckily I have built up a little bit of a cushion.
Drink more H2O: I haven't bought soda in over a month! The only time I drink it is if I'm at work, my parents, or restaurant. I'm trying to keep it to only one a day.
Take shorter Showers: Still timing them, but there have been a couple of days where I forgot on purpose. :)
Be on time: This one I haven't really had too many opportunities to test out. I live in a very central location so it has become common for people to meet me at my house. When I am going to meet someone though, I have made it a point to either be early or on time. (One instance I went into a restaurant and waited in the bar for probably ten minutes. I was so glad that I was the one that had been on time. It felt wonderful.)

Update Book 13: Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

This book was everything I had hoped book number 7 of the year "Best Friends Forever" would have been, but wasn't. "Firefly Lane" is a book about two friends who grow up together, the struggles they face and how through everything it is their friendship that defines their lives. This book was recommended to me by two friends from college. We tend to enjoy similar books, so I was fairly certain this would be a winner.
This book takes place in Snohomish, Seattle, and Bainbridge Island, Washington. The Northwest references made this book all the more fun. The author is local, and just so happened to have released her newest novel at the book store two shops down from my coffee shop on Tuesday.
I enjoyed that this book was more than just a novel about two friends. "Firefly Lane" is about relationships with your mother, father, husband, and daughter. The best part about this book is that the relationships don't seem contrived. Often in Chic Lit novels the relationships seem forced with conflicts that would never happen in real life. Not so in "Firefly Lane." This is a great book to read on rainy Seattle Sunday.
*Disclaimer* I cried at the end.

Also, a note about "Dear John." If you will remember back to book 5, I didn't really like the book, but I had to read it before I saw it on the big screen. Well I hated the movie. Everything about the book that was tragic made it a somewhat interesting read. What they did with the movie is jumble everything up, make it even more confusing, then try and make a tragic love story into a happy one. There are some movies made from novels where I can honestly say that I had enjoyed both of them for separate reason. That together they actually completed each other, that didn't happen in this instance. I recommend skipping "Dear John" all together, the book and the movie.
If you are looking for a book to read and you also want to watch the movie, I would recommend "The Painted Veil." I loved both separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment