Monday, February 15, 2010

Love. Love. Love.

Nope, I'm not talking about Valentine's Day. I'm talking about February 11th. My birthday day. Ok you can laugh and judge all you want, but it is my favorite day of the year. You might think that it is because of the presents, but that is not true (although I don't mind them ;-) ). I love this day because I get to spend it with people that I love. Valentine's Day is for lovers. Birthdays are a day to show all sorts of love; motherly, sisterly, friendly, brotherly, etc. Hallmark can make up all the fake holidays they want, but nothing compares to the love people show you on your birthday.

I've been known to in the past, to make a big deal about my birthday, but this year I wasn't planning anything fancy. Just a relaxing day with some of my favorite people. And you know what? It was one of the best birthdays I have ever had! This is mostly because my favorite people just so happen to be the best people in the whole entire world. No exaggeration. I received phone calls and cards from people I was sure wouldn't remember, both of my brothers called even though I was going to see one of them later that day at dinner. Basically what I'm trying to say is that the people in my life are truly wonderful and I am one lucky girl to know them.

Another word about birthdays: They are always magical. Seriously, when I wake up on my birthday I know it is going to be a fantastic day. Once again it is the little things, finding an amazing parking spot or having the server giving me an ice cream sundae after breakfast (even though I really couldn't have eaten more than a bite). Part of this is waking up and having a positive attitude about your day. On your birthday you wake up and think, this is my day. So what happens the other 364 days of the year? If you dread going to work or that phone call you have to make, guess what?! You will have a bad day. But if you wake up thinking this is going to be a good day, you will most likely fulfill that prophecy.

So another resolution! Wake up and put a smile on my face and tell myself I'm going to have an extraordinary day. No matter what!

Update Book 15: Flyboys by James Bradley

I thought that I was really getting out of my box by reading some of the books that have been recommended to me so far this year. That was until a friend brought over three books he wanted me to read. All three are books that I would never pick out on my own, they are basically boy books. But part of the fun of making a resolution is the challenge. So I guess you could say I had an absolute blast with this novel. It was the most difficult book I've attempted thus far. Not because of big words, but because of the content. I was not given any caveat before I started reading. This is a book about war, and at times it was intensely graphic. So graphic in fact, that I almost admitted defeat and put the book down. But I didn't, and I feel like a better person for finishing it. Although"Flyboys" is at times very difficult to read, it is also incredibly informational and very captivating.

"Flyboys" is about American Airmen during Word War II in the Pacific. I had not put much thought into that half of the Great War. But this book opened my eyes. The history is fascinating and the book is incredibly well researched. The author's other novel is "Flags of our Fathers," also about this part of the war. So if you are interested American history and a worth while challenge, pick up "Flyboys."

No comments:

Post a Comment