Tuesday, January 7, 2014

That was a good year.


A little more than four years ago I started this blog with a pretty simple idea in mind, to read 100 books in 365 days. From that idea came the desire to set resolutions (goals) to challenge myself to become a better person. Within the past few years I've reached many of those goals and have continued to set new ones along the way. All with the idea that there are always things to learn, habits to break, and new places to see. Although I haven't kept blogging as regularly as I may have hoped, I still enjoy looking back on the things I've accomplished through this online journal. 

With the new year upon us it is time to look back on the year 2013. It was certainly a year of adventure! It was filled with travel, new family members, and a continued journey in discovering myself. 

At the beginning of 2013 I set these resolutions:

#1: Run for fun. Don't get injured. Run another half-marathon.
#2: Read for fun.
#3: Show more love. 
#4: Plan a trip somewhere I've never been.


If I only remember one thing from 2013 it will be the incredible trip I took to Malawi, Africa. The journey didn't begin when I stepped onto the plane on August 11, it began when I decided to sponsor a little boy named Mphatso. Although I had never dreamed of traveling to Africa, I couldn't deny this wonderful opportunity to challenge myself in ways I'd never imagined. Taking myself completely out of my comfort zone I began asking people to help me get to Africa. At the time this was so very difficult for me, but I was so humbled by the outpouring of generosity from family, friends, coworkers, and even strangers. 

That brings me to my third resolution, to show more love. I guess I can't really judge for myself if other people felt more of my love this year or now.... but I can say that I have never felt so much love. 

Seriously my heart is bursting with it!

While in Malawi we had several task, my priority was to take photos that would then be used to tell the stories of the children we were interviewing in Children of the Nation's programs. Although snapping photos was important I really believe just being there to hold a child's hand, play soccer with them and give them a hug (aka: showing more love) was the real reason we were there.


Traveling to Malawi certainly checks off resolution number four from my list, but I was also blessed to do some more traveling during 2013.

Kauai in January.
California in May.
Paris in August.

Resolutions #1 and #2 were not as fulfilled as my other two. I still struggle with knee pain when I run. I think I've discovered part of the problem is my weak core. I need to strengthen my hips and abs to better support all the tendons going to my knees and ankles. As they say, everything is connected! My days of half-marathoning are not over!! If it is important enough for me, I will find a way to come back from this injury!

As for the reading resolution... Maybe I was a little too lenient with myself. I feel pretty disappointed with my showing for the year. Maybe I'm still a little burned out, but I would like to make reading more of a priority for the future!

Some other things that filled my time and challenged me this year....

 My garden was the best it has ever been! Consistent watering and lots of love really paid off this year! Seriously, look at that tomato!

I also began a little business for myself. On top of my full time job I've also become a stylist for Stella & Dot. This has definitely challenged me to get out of my comfort zone!

So there ya have it folks! 2013 in a little nutshell. So many more amazing things happened! I can't wait to see what 2014 has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment