Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Adios 2012! Hola 2013!


With every new year I can't help but look back on the previous year and do a little inventory. In recent years I've rated them by how well I completed my resolutions, reached goals, and of course by how many books I read. In this past year I learned something very valuable.... things can change so much from the beginning to the end of a year. Your priorities, friends, family, and interests to name a few. Keeping that in mind, I can't really use my old rating system to judge 2012. 

Here were my resolutions....
#1: Run a FULL MARATHON
#2: Make chores a priority
#3: Save Money
#4: Eat out less often


I can almost say for certain that I did not fulfill any of these resolutions to standard I set when I created them. I ONLY ran a HALF MARATHON. Chores were never a priority. I saved some money, but spent too much. I ate out just as much as ever.... if not more. So what does this mean? Are resolutions silly? Should I stop making them? Should I just aim lower next year? I don't think so. Things come up, priorities change, experiences happen and all the while you can't say no to things and experiences just because they interfere with a list you made on January 1st. Did I run a FULL MARATHON? Nope... But I did run another HALF-MARATHON.... not only did I complete it.... I kicked my previous Half-Marathon time in the ass. Which is something I'm very proud of. 

I've realized that chores will never and should never be a priority. Don't get me wrong here.... I like a clean house and I will say that it is never gross... but if I have to choose between spending time with people I love or folding laundry, you better believe I'm not hanging out sorting socks. There will always been more laundry, more dishes, and more dusting. They should never be a priority.

I can say for certain that the year 2012 will go down in the record books as one of my very best years. I'm almost willing to say top five. So many changes. So much love.

The Year 2012 in Review:

The first two weeks were spent on the island of Kauai soaking up the sun and relaxing. I then came home to three snow days! Which meant I didn't work for the first 19 days of January. I can't really think of a better way to start a new year!

I started eating meat after being a semi-vegetarian/pescatarian for over 12 years.

One of the most positive adjustments I made was changing jobs. While I love the couple I worked for, it was definitely time for a change. I feel that I am appreciated at my new job.... and it doesn't hurt that I work less hours and make more money.

I ran a half-marathon in 2 hours and 11 minutes. Which is 11 minutes fast than my previous time... which is crazy!

2012 was the year of love. I found the man of my dreams and fell head-over-heals. He is an amazing man who makes me feel beautiful and loved every single day.

2012 was also the year of wine. My appreciation for the red variety has grown exponentially. 

Last year was pretty great, I can't wait for what 2013 is going to throw my way. Although I never really complete them, I wouldn't feel right if I didn't have some sort of resolution list for the new year. I think I'll go a little abstract this time around...

#1: Run for fun. Don't get injured. Run another half-marathon.
#2: Read for fun.
#3: Show more love. 
#4: Plan a trip somewhere I've never been.

Alright, I know those resolutions are not really anything new for me. But, I really feel like I get discouraged by my failed resolutions and these seem to fit better in my life than a resolution to lose 10 pounds. I feel like these are doable.... and just enough of a challenge to keep me on track. 

So there you have it! 

Adios 2012! Hola 2013!



No comments:

Post a Comment