Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Top 3 in 2023

 2023 wasn't just the year I finally read 100 books in 365 days, it was also the first year I really embraced not finishing books that I wasn't loving. Some of these I quit within a few pages, some closer to 100. I felt so empowered! Why waste time with a book that I didn't like or that didn't come to me at the right time?! Life is too short and my holds list is too long for that. Obviously borrowing books from the library instead of spending money on a book helps make the DNF (did not finish) decision that much easier, but I really encourage you to quit books that are making it harder for you to want to read. 

Of the 112 books that I did finish, it was so hard to pick my favorites. There were several series that I fell in love with and individual novels that I couldn't put down. If I looked at my list again, it might change, but for today, here are my 3 favorite books from 2023.

Nora Goes off Script by Annabel Monaghan:

I loved this book so much! It was a book club pick and the fourth book I read in 2023. You know when you read a book and you want to crawl into it and live it? That was this book for me. I also did not predict how any of the conflict would be worked out, which was so refreshing. I think I might have even cried, something that I don't do often while reading anymore. 

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown:

This was another book club selection, this time for July. How did it take me so long to read this?! I realize that I don't even have to recommend this book, because it's on so many people's radar, but it's so good I had to include it anyway. I really like nonfiction once I start a good one, but I almost never pick it over fiction. This story reads like fiction. It is fast paced and ok, maybe I do get emotional more often that I thought because this book had me tearing up by the epilogue. The history is local to me, but I really didn't know any of the details. The story is so amazing and the author knocks it out of the park, so well researched.

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt:

Talk about heart warming. This novel takes place in a fictional area near where I went to college, so it was easy to visualize. I loved the characters, I loved the story, and I loved the quirky points of views. I just really really loved this sweet story and can't recommend it enough. 

Ok now I want to write out all of my honorable mention book recommendations from 2023. There are just so many amazing books out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment