Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why I love sharing books.

Remember how I mentioned in a past post how it made me nervous to make book recommendations? Well, all my most recent suggestions have been successful! My friend Jessica, who wasn't an avid read before, texted me yesterday telling me she had already finished the two books I had loaned her and wanted more book ideas! I have her hooked! I also recently gave my friend Ryan a book for his birthday. This wasn't just any recommendation, this just so happened to be one of my favorite books-- "The Alchemist." I gave it to him with the strict instructions that if he didn't like it, I didn't want to hear it. (The one time I accept lying.) So when he told me he really liked it, I couldn't do anything but believe him! The way he talked about it made me really believe him though. So I am adding 'sharing books' to my reason why I don't use the library.

Lately I have been trying to put together a little bit of a favorite book list. This led to me skimming through books that I think might be worthy. One of those books is "The Catcher in the Rye." While looking through my hardback edition I remembered when I received it for my oldest brother for my high school graduation. I love getting books as presents*, even more so when they are given with meaning. The inscription my brother wrote was perfect for the moment (can't believe it was 6 years ago!) and it certainly seems like great advice to me today.

Congratulations,
Often times people use graduation as a time to look back and remember. While you're doing that, don't forget to look to the future and dream.
Love, your oldest brother

*When I graduated from high school I also received an equally amazing present from my other older brother. An incredibly beautiful canvas he had painted while he was an art student in college. (I just had to mention that both my brothers are pretty amazing and special... not only because they are, but also because they both might read this!)

Update book 46: Savor the Moments by Nora Roberts
This is the fourth book in the bride quartet. As I mentioned before, I am not above reading cheesy romance novels. I've read a couple of books by Nora Roberts before and haven't always been impressed. This series is actually pretty good, even though I figured out how everything would end up by the end of the first book. Sometimes you just need a good happy read (especially when your next book is pretty darn serious!)



No comments:

Post a Comment